Why are JFB's so hard to find?

TLaw

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I thought C. pyrrhogaster was supposed to be a common newt in the pet trade, but I haven't been able to find one at all. I've read that they used to be readily available pets, but now they're no where near as easy to find as CFB's, tiger salamanders or axies. Is there any particular reason for this? Does anyone know how/where I can look for trying to find one?

They show up in the pet trade, but only occasionally. This has been the case in recent years. I heard one rumor that Japan had outlawed or restricted their export, but I also head that this is not true. The only suggestion I have is to get to know other keepers and breeders in Canada and hope for some surplus some day.

Are you a breeder? I saw John post in a testimonial thread that you had recently sent him 6 C. pyrrhogasters.

Shipping across the US/Canada border is an extremely expensive and legally complicated procedure. It just isn't worth it to ship a few animals.

Many mom and pop pet shops will do special orders for you if you ask.

Just recently, here in Caudate Free Nebraska, there has been an influx of CB C. pyrrhogaster in particular. (I have been unable to find out where they are getting them which makes me wonder if they are really CB at all.)

Many mom and pop pet shops will do special orders for you if you ask.

Just recently, here in Caudate Free Nebraska, there has been an influx of CB C. pyrrhogaster in particular. (I have been unable to find out where they are getting them which makes me wonder if they are really CB at all.)
Have you gotten a look at these critters? If they are juveniles (and really pyrrhogaster, not mislabeled orientalis), then I might believe that they are CB. If they are adults, then it's bologna.

I have had a look at quite a few of them. They are in fact juveniles. Most are not much larger than the juvie C. e. popei I have. (just over 3.25 inches) It blows my mind as other than the odd paddletail, there have not been any caudates around here in four years.

I have had a look at quite a few of them. They are in fact juveniles. Most are not much larger than the juvie C. e. popei I have. (just over 3.25 inches) It blows my mind as other than the odd paddletail, there have not been any caudates around here in four years.
Hmm, I'd like to see photos. At 3 inches, they could still be WC newts. But I keep hoping;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back