Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CFB's suddenly aquatic when another is introduced.

chrispy

Reaction score
Ok, so I havnt been on these boards in a long while as school got pretty intense. I have had two FBN’s for about 18 months and they are doing fine. Was a learning experience for me J thanks to the people of this forum. Anywho they have always been extemely terrestrial and while I know its a phase I just said screw it and let them live. Well I moved the two into a custom 10g setup that has about 1/4 land from piled up gravel in the corner to bare bottom on the other side. Well they lived there for a couple months and were still pretty terrestrial. Last week I was at my LFS and figured since I had the room I would buy one more. He (think my sexing is correct) is the same size as the other two so no worries there. Any who now all three CFB's are becoming fairly aquatic. Even my female which has always hated being fully in the water is often down walking around. Any idea to what the direct cause of this is? I have been watching for maybe some digressive behavior, but have seen nothing. I am just curious as to what is causing the sudden move to aquatics. I have attached a picture of my setup. please any info helps. They seem to be more healthy, but I want to make sure I am not fooling myself. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC05703.JPG
    DSC05703.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC05704.JPG
    DSC05704.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC05705.JPG
    DSC05705.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 212

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I'd like to volunteer my experiences so you know you are not alone. I had one newt, he never ever came out the water...I got another one a few weeks later who is terrestrial and likes to swim on the surface of the water rather than under it; the first newt has been climbing out of the water on the odd occasion since - personally I just think he was a bit dim and hadn't realised there was land for him (even though I put him on it once so he'd know); maybe your newts were a little scared of the water and since someone else has shown them the ropes so to speak they've realised the water is something good.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chrispy, welcome back. Do you know how to access your private messages on this forum? You had a profile warning given back in May that has not been addressed. Perhaps you didn't get the PM? Please add a country to your profile.

Regarding the newts, perhaps it's the cooler weather that has lured them into the water.

chrispy

Reaction score
done and done. hehe, didnt know pm's existed :).

anywho I would think a shift to winter would be it, but last winter came and went and no water. Also it happened almost immediately after introducing the new newt.

A

achiinto

Actually, come to think of it. When I first got my first Firebelly newt 4 or 5 years ago, I got one first to test the water and the setup. That newt just stick on the land. But when I introduct 4 other firebelly newts, she got right in with them.....

Werid... Maybe just another coincident?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1