Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spottie Axolotl?

Adrianne

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I noticed yesterday (and perhaps it's just me being paranoid) that Floyd seems to have some little red spots on his body. They're not raised, they're totally flat and I haven't seen him scratch at all. Here's the funny thing, they only show up when he is active, like when he's swimming about the tank. Everything else seems normal. Here's a picture to help.

What could this be on my handsome devil?

Attachments

• DSC06471.jpg
    DSC06471.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC06470.jpg
    DSC06470.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 157

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If they only show up when he is active then I say it is completely normal and your only noticing them because of the increased blood flow. A good example of this is his gills; if you'll notice when he is at rest and being lazy they are a pale color but when he is active, for example at feeding time, they become very red.

Fumi

Reaction score
Hi. I was just about to post this very concern about my own axie. It looks as though she is covered in a rash. She is leuistic and has pink/red dots all over her torso. She has recently had a move from one home to another and may be a little stressed still. She has been quite inactive and has not been eating either. Even when tempted with a nice juicy worm! Please could anyone offer any advice or reassurance on this matter. I'm quite worried.
Thanks.

Adrianne

Reaction score
Strangely enough, the rocks in question (that have since been removed) showed up after a few "burps" this morning. The children in my class were very relieved that their class pet had rid his stomach of such yucky things. He is swimming around much more and gobbled up 4 pellets this morning!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1