Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axololtl vomit

A

achiinto

My newly purchased axolotls vomited the food I fed them after the first night. And that caused major ammonia problem in the water as the food decay. Is there a possibility that I have been overfeeding them the first day and they vomited out as their metabolism was not ready to digest all the food?

After settling down the water, I started feeding the axolotl again, two of them rejected eating, the two others ate and split them out immediately.

Today, I tried feeding again, they all tried to eat but they have to split and swallow repeatedly before finally eating it.

I am guessing that they are not ready to eat so much, although they seem skinny. They are all leucistic, 3 inches long and I noticed that their stomach is partially visible. How can I determine if they have food in there stomach?

Any idea?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
If you clean up any left over (or regurgitated) food straight away there shouldn't be any problem with ammonia.

The first day there were probably too stressed to eat. How long have you had them now?

What are you feeding them? Perhaps you are feeding them food that is too large?

It is quite normal for axolotls to spit there food out a few times before finally swallowing it.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Firstly, determine if its vomit or regurgitation. If the expelled food looks digested, it vomitus. If it looks quite entire, its likely to be regurgitation.

Regurgitation is much more common and can be attributed to a lower digestion rate such as from lowered temperature. It can also be due to the ingested food already starting to decompose or if the food item is too bulky for rapid digestion (and hence likely to decompose).

The best way to get around this is to offer food with smaller particle size. With earthworms you can chop them up. Blackworms are fantastic. Treats should be very small fine slivers.

Vomiting is rare and is normally a pathology. That would require further diagnostic testing.

If the axie continues to feed well but remain skinny. It is worth checking for internal parasites. A single course of treatment should clear that.

It is quite difficult to visually distinguish if an adult axie has food in the belly. Sometimes axies that gorge themselves will appear a bit wider around the belly. Most of the time, it is from behavioural observation such as reluctance to feed any further (but not inappetant or anorexic)

A

achiinto

The left over food seems partially digested, but I think it was the first time they have eaten chopped earthworm. So, although they seems to have vomitted, I guess the food items were just too big. But want surprised me is that the CO, Warty newts and SRNs I have are all enable to swallow a relatively larger size food that these small baby axolotls.

Now, they seems to start eating again, but only very small amount. I noticed that their stomach seems to resemble irregular shape that looks like the earthworm bits that I fed them. So they might be taking time to digest the food. I might try to change the food item to bloodworms, which is smaller.

A

achiinto

They are feeding very well now. I guess the original food that they vomited was a bit too big for them. Now I switched to bloodworm and they are feeding well. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1