Wierd gills

capek36

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Axolotls' gills had been turned forward for awhile. i understand that this is a sign of stress and can often be caused by the heavy flow caused by the filter. So, i unplugged the filter and it has been for almost a day and he seems to have improved. However, Some of the time one set of his gills will be turned back and the other curled all the way foward. Is this a bad sign?

Try reducing the water flow by use of spray bar etc. Do not turn off the filter intermittently. That will kill off beneficial bacteria. Filters should be left running 24/7.

Some axies have naturally long gills that always seem curled forward. If your axie doesn't show any other signs of stress like inappetance, ill health, floating etc., i would not be overly worried. You can also 'trial' by fridging your axie for a couple of days and see if the gills appear better. If it remains unchanged, you know what it is a natural curl. Otherwise, you would have to troubleshoot if there is a temperature, water flow or water parameter problem.

I don't think gills turned front is a bad sign. I've seen lots of healthy axolotls with curly gills. Turning the filter off is risky business.

Thanks for the info everybody. Its all been very helpful. If the filter is needed twenty four seven then why do I read stuff about the water flow causing stress and disease in axolotls?

Curled forward gills can be a sign of stress or can be a natural conformation issue. Filter should always be kept on to keep the tank aerated, filtered and to support the beneficial bacteria growth.

The filter can be turned on permanently but the water currents can still be reduced to a minimum. By using a spray bar or diffusing the flow, the filter can still be safely kept on with minimal currents.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back