Question: Axoltol newbie questions

weeseamonster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm brand new and am doing my research before hopefully getting a little guy. I've read several hours worth of info. on posts and websites, but have not seen the answer to 3 questions that I have. 1) What is a GFP axolotl? 2) Can you hold/handle a axolotl? For example, if you need to somehow transfer it. 3) Does the temp. for the axolotl refer to both tank and room? Totally new to all this and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :happy:

1. GFP axolotls refer to green fluorescent protein expressing axolotls. They are bio-engineered (transgenic) animals that can glow green when exposed under black light.

2. Yes you can but handling is best avoided. Handling should be minimised because axies have soft bodies that can be easily injured if handled roughly. In addition, being fully aquatic, axies and human skin have different type of microbes such as bacteria. Humans can cause infections in axies and axies can also cause an infection to humans. Handling will also remove the protective slime coat. Lotions, perfumes and other residue on human skin can cause terrible burns and trauma to axie skin as well. In inevitable situations where handling has to be performed, hands have to be thoroughly washed, rings, bracelets and watches removed and the hands are to always to be kept wet when handling the axie. Rubbing a bit of dechlorinator/stress coat type products on the hands before handling can also help minimise trauma. They can help detoxify certain residual chemicals/metals on our skin and will make the skin more pH neutral. Human skin is naturally slightly acidic.

The best way to transfer an axie is by scooping it up in a container. Nets may be used but they too sometimes snag on gills, toes and skin and can be damaging if not proplery handled. Manually restraining the axie is useful in situations where a thorough physical examination/ vet procedure such as injections or biopsies have to be performed.

3 - Temperature normally refers to water temperature in the tank. Ambient temperature indirectly plays a part as warm ambient temperature will also ultimately cause an elevation in water temperature unless a chiller or other cooling methods are employed.

thank you, that was very informative and I appreciate it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back