Question: Help Egg found in my tank!!!

GemzD26

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Hi guys,

Ive just got my black wild typre female? at the weekend.

Ive waited over a week to recieve it and went accross Scotland to recieve it.

I waited so long as i asked for a female to go with my lecustic i put them in together and there way a few nips but nothing bad.

I dont really want any males right now for obvious reasons, I was cleaning the tank tonight and to my horror i found a little egg in its sack,it was gray so i knew it was not fertilised, so removed it.

Now im really worried is this supposed "female" actually a male and they are getting warmed up for breeding?

I cant think of any other reason!!

Can some one please tell me in wrong,

I'm no vet, but if you're sure you found the egg, they're doing the dirty.

haha.

I'd seperate them ASAP until it's gender becomes clear (if you can't already tell). It could just be a piece of debris that floated into your tank if it really is a female.

I'm no Axolotl expert, but it might be just that your female is laying her infertile eggs that she has in her belly. There is always that possibility that they are fertile and that you do have a female and a male, but chances are slim since you were sure you had a female.
In other species of newts and salamanders females lay the eggs fertile or not. So no need to worry. But there is always that possibility that i'm wrong.
Hope things turn out as planned for you.

-Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back