Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water level in tank & Temperature!

speckle

Reaction score
Hey all

I recently bought a very cute little axolotl whom I have called 'Speckle' and I was just wondering, about how much water should I have in the tank? It is about 20 litres in size.

I have talked to some people who used to own them and some say have the water up to 10 centimetres from the surface and others say enough to cover the axolotl and then have branches etc breaking the surface so they can climb out of the water if they wish.

What does everyone think??

Also, is 14 to 25 degrees celcius ok for water temprature? Some sites have been saying 20 degrees C maximum but the guy I talked to at the pet shop today said they keep their's in 24 degrees C.

Thanks, Sam =)

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Re: Water level in tank & Tempreature!

First off, forget everything the pet store told ya. You don't need branches to break the water surface since axolotls will not climb out of the water. Also, just remember that the more water you have in the tank the easier it is to keep everything in check. As for temperatures, 16-18C is ideal for them. Anything at 24c or above becomes very stressful to them, even fatal. Have you read through axolotl.org yet?

speckle

Reaction score

yeah I have read it. was just making sure. soo many people have told me different things!

speckle

Reaction score

oh also, do you have any tips for cooling the water down? i've been putting ice in it all day but it doesnt seem to be doing much.. its still at 23 degrees C =(

Abrahm

Reaction score

Cooling the tank is one of the most frustrating and difficult tasks we have as axolotl keepers. Reading through this article should give you some ideas on what to do.

The first thing is to try and find the coolest place in your room (or rooms if you have multiple.) Take a thermometer and check different places. Closer to the floor seems to be best, avoid heat vents and keep away from windows and direct sunlight. If you can air condition the room, so much the better. Use screen tops for all aquariums and directing a fan at the water's surface will help induce evaporation which also aids cooling. Try rotating out 1L or 2L bottles 3/4 full of ice instead of ice cubes.

Another thing to consider is removing anything that adds heat to the system. Don't use light hoods over the tank. If you have any sort of power filter (hang on back, internal, canister, etc.) these can also add heat. Try switching to a box or sponge filter and keeping to a weekly water change schedule.

A quick note, if you use the fan you'll be losing water to evaporation quickly. Try to replace this water with deionized, distilled or reverse osmosis (RO) water if possible. Otherwise you will have a buildup of minerals in the water over time.

If you have a good secure tank lid I would recommend that you fill the tank right about to the top. Just leave a gap of a few centimeters, in a tank of that size you will want all the extra water you can to help maintain good water chemistry. If you don't have a good secure tank lid, get one. A nice wire mesh one is perfect.

speckle

Reaction score

thanks heaps, ive got his water temp down to 18 degress. seems very happy =) he waved at me too!!! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1