Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated Budgett's... Advice needed!

djg253

Reaction score
Hi,

A few months ago I purchased an adult budgett's frog, "Porkchop", at a reptile show. I set him up in a 20L tank with a few inches of water (where he could easily stick his head out) and a platform to get entirely out of the water if he wanted. I have been feeding him nightcrawlers, superworms, roaches and the occasional pinky mouse. He was normally very active and aggressive, attacking anyone who passed by the tank. A few days ago he started acting lethargic and didn't have much interest in food. Two days ago he regurged and continued to be lethargic (I haven't fed him since them). Yesterday he began to look bloated and was hanging on the platform. When I noticed the bloating, I moved him into a sweaterbox with sphagnum moss and put a heatpad on one corner. Today he was laying on the heated corner and wasn't very responsive. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about treating him with antibiotics. Thanks in advance for your reply!

Dan

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The symptoms, including the bloating, could have many possible causes. If you cannot get vet care, anything you try is going to be a stab in the dark. Sorry I don't have better advice to offer. Good luck!

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
I would go to talktothefrog.org and ask them since their forum is just about frogs. There are memebers who have budgett frogs and should be able to answer you. You said you have the water at a couple of inches? I am pretty sure it needs to be deeper than that. I have also hear that budgetts are sometimes difficult to keep. I would also read up on the Chytrid treatment if all else fails but save that as your last option. Sometimes when frogs loose interst in food and become lethargic that is a sign of possible Chytrid fungus. So go to talktothefrog.org and I know someone could help you by tonight. A good guy over there to ask would be Big Hydro. He kinda speacializes in Pixies, Pacmans, Budgetts, all the big frogs. Good luck

Decount062

Reaction score
Hi, a change in environment often causes stress, defensive posturing indicates stress,couple this with the possibilities of how it was kept before you acquired the frog,(maybe poorly?).Unfortunately, bloat can be a sign of liver failure,frogs are hardy if kept correctly and usually when problems occur,it's too late.What kind of water quality was it kept in?,these frogs need impeccable water quality and can foul a setup like you described in no time.I have kept frogs of many types including budgetts and can say without hesitation that good water to start with(and keep) is imperative,I use R.O. water and check it regularly.I don't put tap water on my house plants either,aquarium water conditioners aren't designed for amphibs/caudates and in my opinion are only more introduced contaminants that bond with other contaminants,NO GOOD.Aquarium test kits are invaluable tools for maintaining water quality,which is only the beginning of good husbandry practices.To be sure,have a qualified vet give a look, but usually when frogs start going south ,they continue.Good Luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!