Handling axies?

rhi

Reaction score
Country
United States
So im new to this whole axolotls things, but i have heard that you can hand feed them worms. My question is how much can you handle axies? and also, can they go out of water for any point of time? I thought they only lived in water, but some of these pictures look like they are out of water. thanks!

Re: Handling anxies?

While some people do this, it is a bad choice to make. Axolotls should only be handled in emergencies. Your skin can damage their skin. The risk of dropping them is also very high.

Re: Handling anxies?

Hand feeding worms to axies are a good way to monitor their eating habits. You may also use feeding forceps for this purpose.

Axies should be handled minimally.The best way to transport them is to scoop them up in a container and avoid direct skin contact. Nets are ok but sometimes their toes and gills can be snagged by the net.

Axies are fully aquatic and require a tank environment with good water parameters and temperature. In some procedures such as surgery, axies may be partially submerged and kept moist during the procedure to prevent dessication. Unless they are morphed to the terrestrial form, they can only stay out of water for a short time before damage sets in.

thank you both so much!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back