Axolotl tank questions

weasel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
im strongly considering gatting myself an axolotl as i saw them on a tv show the other day and promptly fell in love with them!
i think i may have read everything on the internet about axies but still have a few questions

- im looking at getting a tank with the dimentions H 39cm D 41cm L 51cm, will this be large enough for my new friend?

- i also want to have 10 or so guppies in the tank with the axie but am aware of the gill nibbling problem, can i have them in with my axie straight away of should i wait for my axie to grow a little before introducing the guppies and if so how long should i wait?

i think thats all my questions for now

The tank size should be good for one axolotl. With the guppies you'll want to quarantine them for at least 30 days prior to introducing them to your axolotl. Ten is a good number to start out with since undoubtedly a few will get eaten right off the bat. What is the size of the axolotl you are looking to get?

im planning on getting one from Axolotl - Ambystoma mexicanum as there dont seam to be any pet shops in my area that stock them so i expect it to start off quite young

i was thinking of having the guppies in the tank for a while before i get my axie is this a good way to do it of should i have them in a seperate tank from the one i will be introducing the axie too?

Well since I am assuming you are starting everything from scratch and that means you'll need to cycle the tank then it wouldn't be a bad idea to put 1 or 2 guppies in the main tank to help it cycle. You will need to keep anymore than that in a seperate container.

yes i am starting from scratch!
i was planning to plonk all the guppies in there from the start for a couple of weeks but i will just put a few in to get the ball rolling and keep others in a seperate tank as i may start to breed the guppies for a sustainable snack source (bit worried about getting attached to the little fishies tho!)

thanks for the help
i have a feeling i will be spending alot of time on this forum over the next few months

keep others in a seperate tank as i may start to breed the guppies for a sustainable snack source (bit worried about getting attached to the little fishies tho!)

This is the best way to go if your planning on using the fish as a snack. You cut the risk of disease and/or parasite transmission way down. Don't worry about getting attached to them, soon enough they will be coming out the whazoo and you can't get rid of them quick enough.:rolleyes:

i have a feeling i will be spending alot of time on this forum over the next few months

This is never a bad thing. ;)

sorry one more thing....

i have a water butt in my garden that collects rain water, would this be good too use for filling my tank
i also have a pond would that be ok too? or would there be parasites and other nasty things in it?

The rain water may be ok and I stress the term may. It would still be a wise idea to test it first just to make sure. As for the pond water I wouldn't risk it but I'd wait and see what other people think about it.

my pond has lots of goldfish and we have tons of frogspawn and frogs living happily in it every year
but of course i will test the water before using its more a worry about parasites etc.
and im guessing you can really test for this

With that kind of stuff living in the pond I would be more worried about diseases and less about parasites. I wouldn't risk it.

what would you suggest to be the best water supply?

Just regular tap water with dechlorinater added to it would be the easiest and most practical thing to use.

thanks for your help im really looking forward to getting my axie and when i do im sure i will post pics and keep on this forum to make sure it stays fit and happy
thanks again

Hi, sorry, I know I'm late to this thread but a tank that is 51 cm long is way too small for an axolotl. They grow to be about 30 cm long themselves. The tank you describe would be like a hotdog bun. I strongly suggest a tank at least 80 cm long. Assuming you want to keep the axolotl as a pet and not a specimen, of course. ;)

-Eva

......so who am i supposed to believe here?
not that i doubt either of you :)
im planning to get myself a tank on friday and im not made of money!
but i would want my axie to be happy

my sistuation has changed slightly and have been offered a slightly lasger tank (about 60 cm long) for free so would be stupid to pass up!

i will be getting my axie quite young so how long would my axie be ok in this tank before i would need to upgrade?

Ok I am admittedly a "more is more" kinda girl. Justin (Greatwtehunter) has loads more experience (and tanks, and animals) than I do. You certainly don't want to pass up a free tank, so start with that one and see what time tells, you can decide for yourself. :happy:

-Eva

my pond has lots of goldfish and we have tons of frogspawn and frogs living happily in it every year
but of course i will test the water before using its more a worry about parasites etc.
and im guessing you can really test for this

frogs are very sensitive to their surroundings,
so.. if there are lots of frog spawns in your pond then it could mean
that it's a healthy and clean place for them to live.
if not, then those frogs would die off very fast.
=]

frogs are very sensitive to their surroundings,
so.. if there are lots of frog spawns in your pond then it could mean
that it's a healthy and clean place for them to live.
if not, then those frogs would die off very fast.
=]

Keep in mind though that just because the frogs appear healthy that you could use the water they share for your axie safely. Frogs harbor diseases that they have built up immunities to while your axie has no defense against it and could possibly get ill from it. It ultimately boils down to how comfortable you are with chancing it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back