Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Juvie CFB newt or not?

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I have two chinese fire bellied newts; I was just wondering how can you tell if they are juvies still?

One of mine spends all his time in the water; he seems to come out when it's dark; the other one spends most of his time on land and swimming on the surface but mostly on land; I think this one may be a bit younger.

I'm just wondering is there anyway to tell? They are both about the same length? Roughly how big are they when they become "adults"?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It really depends. I have a young adult who is just over 5,5 cm long, but you may encounter longer animals who are of an uncertain sex.
I would be more worried about them not spending all the time in the water and swimming in the surface, it can be an indication of bad water quality.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
One spends 95% of his time in the water; the other one swims on the surface and likes to sit on the land (he even did in the shop).

I am unsure of his sex, but I think he might be male.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!