Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings.

Kanders

Reaction score
Hello I'm Kanders. I've always been interested in Salamanders of all types and I found this great site with tons of information on them.
If you (the reader) don't mind, could you direct me to any links regarding setting up a tank?
If there already are such information here could you tell me where to look?
Thank you.
:D

Kanders

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what I should get regarding what type of Salamander.
I really like the Axies but can I put them with fish?
I have a 20 gallon-long tank and I'm not sure what to put in it.
I'm thinking of getting another type of salamander so I can turn it into a Vivarium.

petlover516

Reaction score
Welcome to the Newt and Salamander Portal!
If your not sure if you'd want an aquarium or vivarium, you could easilly make a paludarium(half/half)!

Kanders

Reaction score
Thank! Are there any sites I could go to for samples and info on how to create your own? Also can a Axie live with fish or would they try to kill each other?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Have a read through this section and see if thats what your looking for. Axolotls are best kept in a single species tank. There are only a few species of fish that will survive the conditions axolotls prefer and even then I wouldn't recomend them unless your comfortable with them becoming axie snacks.

Kanders

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
From what I understand Axies are its own species of salamander correct?
I read a few articles about them and then about other types of salamanders, it confused me a bit.
Do all salamanders start the way Axies do?

petlover516

Reaction score
Not all Salamander start out like axies-in some subspecies of the European Fire Salamander(Salamandra salamandra sp.), the mother gives live-birth to fully metamorphased babies. I would think a few other salamanders give live birth as well.

Kanders

Reaction score
Ahh I see, well thanks again for your help.
I may reconsider going with Axolotls from seeing how cool some of the members tiger(and other) salamanders tanks are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!