Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Uk breeders

futura2000

Reaction score
I am writing this post as someone who has recently had their love of cauadates re-ignited. We've always kept newts in the family home...many often bought from tropical fish shops over the years. However coming back into the hobby lately the importance of captive bred animals is very clear. As a result living in the u.k i'm very jealous when i see breeders like jennewt and michael offering a great variety of species at amazing prices and most importantly all captive bred. This leads me to the main point of this post i want to know if there is anybody doin anything on roughly the same scale here in the uk?

Cheers, Dean.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are you kidding? The UK has lots of breeders, and very good ones too. The hobby is big there, i´d dare say that the UK is probably in the top three european countries in terms of amphibian keeping.
There are several breeders in this forum who often have for sale different species, all CB, and at very good prices.
You definitely have much more options than the rest of us do xD Here in spain the hobby is so small and badly organised.....

futura2000

Reaction score
Well i guess it was probably the sheer variety of species being offered at the same time from a few u.s breeders that caught my eye, hopefully i will become a acquainted with more breeders here in the u.k. I see what your saying with regards to keeping caudates in spain it definetly seems as though the hobby has far more prevelance in northern europe. I recently recieved a pair of t.carnifex from a fellow caudata.org user and i'm hoping to slowly and steadily build my collection. So any uk hobbyists with surplus animals for sale i'd love to hear from you!!!

Cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1