Oak Toads

Greewok

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone keeping these? If so, how old are they? I have a strange attraction to them, but don't own any yet.

Its funny but I have the same strange attraction to but don't have any yet also. I think its cause I got addicted to B.Cognatus. But I can tell you that oak toads are the smallest native toad in the United states only reaching about1 1/4 inches or 3.3 cm. And thats a big one.Their range is from Southern Virginia south through Florida to along the Louisiana coast. They like loose sandy soil were pines and oak scubs trees are found. Which reminds of the the NJ pine barrens. Males have dark throats. It is very active during the day and can breed anytime from April to October. Triggered by heavey rains. I was thinking breeding these would be fun and not so hard. Their small size and the fact that dropping their temp to 65 to 75 for 8 weeks would not be hard for me at all. I'm guessing this temp from my vacations to Florida in February. Southern winters are nothing like my winters here in PA. were we can have 2 weeks straight of under 30 in February. Good luck when you get yours

I don't have any at the moment, but have kept them in the past. They're fun little toads and pretty easy to maintain. Like Bill said, they stay tiny, I don't think I've even seen one that hit the inch mark!

I just gave away my group of 5 a few months ago and I am absoutely regretting it. These were and still are my most favorite toads from East of the Mississippi. They stay tiny and always seem to be out and about in the terrarium, not to mention they ate like montsers.:D

Luckily, Oak toads are native to VA so come next spring I am going to go out and collect myself another group and this time I won't get rid of them.

I just gave away my group of 5 a few months ago and I am absoutely regretting it. These were and still are my most favorite toads from East of the Mississippi. They stay tiny and always seem to be out and about in the terrarium, not to mention they ate like montsers.:D

Luckily, Oak toads are native to VA so come next spring I am going to go out and collect myself another group and this time I won't get rid of them.

Hi Justin,
I don't do forums very often. I will be glad to join you on field for the quercicus. I photograph and I write articles. Let me know if you have any field intentions for this spring. PM me so we do not clutter the forum. I am in MD and can join you in your area. regards
sorin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back