Axolotl feeding help

chrisleonard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, i asked this question before but i'd like to just make sure. I'm feeding my axolotl zoo med aquatic newt food. its pellets and i was wondering if this is a good food to feed him even tho he seems to like them. Also he has been eating ALOT now that i've finally got him to eat and it says to just feed a newt or 5 pellets and hes eating about 15 a day with me stopping because i dont want to ridiculously over feed him. Should i be feeding him as much as he wants till he doesnt eat it or should i limit what he eats. i also feed him by hand i drop it on his head or he takes it out of my finger tips

Pellets formulated for axies/ aquatic newts are normally quite nutritious. They are fine as a staple. It is of course always best if you supplement with live worms and occasional treats. Variety always ensures best nutrition.

For adult axies, i tend to feed max of once 3 times a week. I would go with 5 pellets at one sitting. 15 pellets is really quite a lot. Pellets are rather nutritionally dense and excessive consumption can result in obesity.

alright so like 5 pellets every two days? and my axie is only about 4 inches i think long he's not an adult yet but he also wasnt eating for a good 4 or 5 days but he eats good now and i was told on this forum to feed him until he wont eat anymore but i think yours sounds more reasonable thank you :) so should i not feed mine for like 3 or 4 days cause i like wayyy over fed him?

Being still quite a young axie I would personally say about every other day, but only the recommended 5 pellets. When they're younger and still growing it's best to feed smaller amounts regularly than one big meal occasionally, or at least that's how I understand it.

From what I can tell those pellets are probably the same as 3/32" salmon pellets. 5 pellets every other day is not nearly enough for a 4" axolotl. I go with about 10 a day or 15 to 20 every other day. I'd think of switching to some larger pellets when the small ones are ready to run out. I'd switch to 5/32" Rangen soft moist.

alright thanks these pellets are kinda small to me they look about that size and i measured from the head to end of tail idk how im supposed to measure them

With juveniles, they require daily feeding or alternate day feeding. As they grow older, the feeding frequency reduces to the maximum of 3 meals per week when they reach adulthood. It is always better to indicate the age of axies you are keeping as otherwise the information i provide caters for healthy adult axie requirements.

I don't normally use a single staple for my axies and still advocate feeding live worms whenever possible to supplement pellets. If fed exclusively on pellets alone, actually your current practise of feeding about 10 pellets daily is fine.

ok thanks and whats a good way to tell the age i got him from wards online and i've only had him for a week

ok thanks and whats a good way to tell the age i got him from wards online and i've only had him for a week
Well being only 4 inches I would assume he's 09, possibly even 08.

i measured him yesterday and hes actually almost 5 ahha but 8 or 9 what months?

i measured him yesterday and hes actually almost 5 ahha but 8 or 9 what months?
Could be anytime really, but the hatching time would be around spring normally. 09 and 08 as in 2009 and 2008 incase there was confusion.

alright haha and i tried feedin him just ten a day and after a few days he started biting the wall and like looking for food so i think i need to feed him more

Thats a little confusing, sorry to take over,

Sunny is 8inches long, when I bought him 2 months ago they told me he was around 7 months. is this right then? is he 9 months? When do they reach the adult stage?

Sorry again,
Blaze

In my opinion, axie size is only a rough estimate to age. How big the axie is, is not an accurate indicator of age. THe axie size can differ to other non 'age' related factors like level of nutrition, sex of axie (females are larger), and health status of the animal.

Most axies reach sexual maturity and hence 'adulthood' around 1 year to 1 and a half years. This is best indicated by dark toe tips in light coloured axies and white toe tips in dark coloured axies.
Some axies may mature earlier or later from the average range.

Your axie could already be a young adult.

Ahh okay!

Hes got the blackest toe tips but according to the pet shop, should only be 9 - 10 months. Even then could he be an adult? Hes been chewed on a few times when younger by tank mates as he has some deformaties, this maybe a contributing factor so his size? maybe the stress of being chewed slowed his growing for a while =]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back