Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire salamander subspecies and set-up

hopewynne

Reaction score
hi every one i was just wondering if any one could tell what subspicies my fire sal is and whether his set up is ok.
DSC02040.jpg

DSC02038.jpg

DSC02039.jpg

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Fire salamander subspiecies and set-up

It looks probably like a bernardizi, but to confirm it, look at the Caudata Culture Articles - Salamandra Guide.
The st-up should do, but I can't really tell what kind of top you have-that can also affect the health of your salamander.
The guide on CC cannot really be used to ID the subspecies of fire sals. Within any locality, there is usually a lot of variation. The only way to know the subspecies for sure is to know what locality it came from.

The setup looks decent overall. Pine is generally not recommended, so I'd suggest doing without the pine box in the back-right corner (not sure what it's function is).

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With regards to the set-up, I would ditch the mystery wooden structure, as Jen suggests, and lay flat any items which might topple over and squish a salamander. It's tempting to sometimes try filling out a tank with decorations to make it look more interesting for the viewer but the main focus should be creating a habitat where the animal feels comfortable. Fire salamanders benefit from having dark hides which they can crawl into and feel safe. For a more naturalistic and attractive look you could add some cork bark (or other tree bark) hides and a good few handfuls of leaf litter to give it an woodland feel.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m pretty sure it´s Salamandra salamandra terrestris, although it could be fastuosa. Doesn´t look bernardezi to me.
Didn´t the person that sold it to you tell you the subespecies? that´s odd.

About the tank, i personally think you chose a type of husbandry that´s more suited for reptiles. What you need for a fire salamander is a woodland terrarium, with leaf litter, several hides and cover possibilities, moss, etc. You can find plenty of information and examples in this forum and in Caudata Culture.

petlover516

Reaction score
Re: Fire salamander subspiecies and set-up

The guide on CC cannot really be used to ID the subspecies of fire sals. Within any locality, there is usually a lot of variation. The only way to know the subspecies for sure is to know what locality it came from.

The setup looks decent overall. Pine is generally not recommended, so I'd suggest doing without the pine box in the back-right corner (not sure what it's function is).
Oh Ok. Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1