Hello All,

ro284

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello everyone here, As suggested i would like to introduce myself, My name is Bob And i live in Dorset, in the UK.
Of course i have a question as well,:happy:
i have two ponds, not huge! but there are no fish, these are wildlife ponds only. for Newts Frogs Toads etc. All seem very happy in there, however there has been a lot of build-up of sludge (containing lots of food) and lots of duckweed :mad: I am trying to find the right month to work on the ponds (one at a time) i need to clear them out for another 5 years or so, and repair a damaged liner, But i seem to miss the opportunity to do this, as soon as i start work of any kind, for instance sivving off the duckweed i pick up young (1inch long) baby newts which i thought would have moved out for the winter by now, and still plenty of frogs. etc all are precious to me, So when is the best month to do this clean-up Please, do these creatures ever leave? any info much appreciated, Thanks Bob

Welcome to the site!
Mid winter would seem the best time to do this when most wildlife will be hibernating. Even then you might still get some animals. What I do personally is get an old laundry hamper, empty all the pond weed in there, and leave it by or in the pond so that any animals in there can get out.
Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Newt and Salamander Portal!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back