Bloated Axi - please help

Kata

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Display Name
Kata
Prognosis:
I have two mexican axolotls since Januar, they were smaller than half of my little finger when I got them. The wild type is called Tiger, the albino Fairy. They have a big tank (80 liters), I gave them tubifex before, and they grew very fast, as they got bigger I started to give them small fishes (frosted ones) they eat twice a weak, and now they are around 10 centimeters. I assume, that both are female.

The problem:
Fairy (the white one) got bloated up last night (the wild type is healthy, she has no problem at all), her stomach is full of air. If you press her stomach, the air quits on her mouth, but it's realy painful for her, and she gets bloated soon, so I just let the air in. It seems to me, that she can regulate it, because she can gulp the air, and she can spit it out. The only thing I dont know, why she is doing it, because her belly is so big, that she can't lay on her ventral side. Additionaly she is very weak, she moves much more less than usual. I put her into the fridge, because I read this might help. Can someone give advice, what's wrong with her, and what should I do to help her?

Hi Kata,

firstly, axies 10cm in length should be fed daily. Earthworms are the best and nutritious food for them. But you can feed them bloodworms, critters, slugs, little pieces of fish and much more - the main issue is, that you feed them varied food.

What is the ground in your tank - is it bare bottom or do you use gravel?

I think her stomach is only filled with air because of the absence of food. Normally axies at this age are much bigger.;)

-Tina-

Tina,

before everything else thanks for your help.
1. The ground is of bigger pebbles, they arn't able to swallow them.
2. We gave them food in the evening before it bloated, perhaps she ate too much and now has a problem in digesting the food. I hope that's the only problem and she will be all right soon.
3. I hope that it's not because of some infection, because there isn't any good vet near at hand. :(

Thanks for the advices for the proper feeding, as soon as she gets better I'll try to give them more diverse food. :happy:

Hi,

You definitely have to change the diet. The types of food suitable as long term staples are pellets, blackworms and earthworms. Good occasional 'treats' are bloodworms, bits of fish and prawn etc. Axies fed on other inappropriate food types long term can develop malnutrition and subsequent bloat.

Another factor to consider is water temperature. With high temperatures, some axies can develop gas bubble disease, which can look like bloat. It is also important to distinguish if the axie looks 'bloated' because of gas bubbles under the skin or presence of fluid buildup (ascites) or general tissue puffiness due to fluid retention (oedema). The treatment options vary. You may like to post a photo.

Fridging is defnitely a good idea. I do recommend you contact a vet. Lastly although the pebbles look too huge. I have seen axies with impaction that were kept in tanks with substrate that looked too huge to swallow. They do pose a risk and is worth removing.

Hi,

It's definitely air under the skin, because it's not allows her to submerge, she can only swimm on her back. I put her something to lie on, there she can be on her belly. Interesting is, that seh actualy doesn't like to be in the water, she lies on this box, the water infests half of her body, she doesn't require to submerge her gills, which are smaller than the usual, but she has this smaller gills for months now, and she didn't like to be even semi out of the the water till now. She could go back if she'd like to, she can move, but she prfers being out on the shore. I post some pictures, you can take a look at her.
Thank's a lot for your help, we definitely be much more careful with the diet.
ps: so you advise to keep the axies in the bare tank?

Attachments

• DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,349
  • DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,600
  • DSC00044.jpg
    DSC00044.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,359
Yes, a bare bottomed tank is fine.

Was the bloating a gradual or a sudden (overnight) process? I am inclined to think its gas bubble disease. You would need to bring it to a vet for antibiotics. Meanwhile fridge the axie. Ensure your main tank is cool (16-18 degree celsius).

Sadly a lot of axies with bloat don't quite make it through without prompt ample treatment. I hope you bring the axie to a vet in time.

It was a sudden (overnight) process, I found her like this in the morning. Unfortunately I can bring her to the vet only on monday, I hop she will be alive that time... :(

How can you produce such temperature (16-18), because in the room is more than 20 degrees, in the fridge it' around 4-6 degrees... :confused:

Thanks a lot for your kind help from the other part of the World... :happy:

The tank cannot be warmer than 20 degrees. This is definitely the cause of illness in your axie. I was immediately very suspicious of water temperature when you mentioned presence of bubbles under the skin.

You will have to fridge all your axies in that case, otherwise your other axies will very soon get ill and may even die when left at the warm temperatures.

If you cannot keep the main tank below 20 degrees, you have to fridge the axies immediately. The best way to keep the water temperature a constant cool range of 16-18, its best to invest in a chiller unit. There are other cooling methods such as ice bottles but they are very temporary solutions.

Thanks a lot for your help, I will look after some solution to cool down the tank.
The interesting is, that Tiger, the wild type has no problem at al, and she was kept in the same conditions as Fairy. Since Fairy is ill, I seperated them, but from now on I will look after Tiger's feeding and water conditions as well.
Thanks a lot for the quick replies, they were a lot of help for me, to be sure everything will be ok, I will bring her to a vet tomorow.
If something happens I let you know...

HI,

imho it´s not intersting that Tiger has no problems at all. Maybe he is a little bit stronger, but you wrote that Fairy´s bloating has been a sudden (overnight) process ans so it can happen to Tiger too.
Yor should find a quick solution to keep the tank cool - f.e. frozen bottles, chiller. otherwise you may consider to put Tiger in the fridge, too.

Good luck!

-Tina-

We took her to the vet today, he said, it's a bacterial infection and gave her antibiotics, which you have to pour into the water. She is now in a colder room (I'm working in a lab, and I took her to a temperated room) in the water with the antibiotics. I hop she will be all right, as soon as anything happens I let you know. Thanks a lot for your help!

Unfortunately, despite of the antibiotics and the cold room, Fairy died today in the morning. Her belly turned red and brown during night. Perhaps She got internal haemorrhaginng. I'm sad to lose her, and I'll miss her. Thanks a lot for everybody, who helped me to keep her alive. Now I'm working on improving Tiger's life quality according to your advices.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back