Question: Red Fire Bellied Newts

Emmerish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heya,

I am a true newbie. I am looking to buy a couple of Red Fire Bellied Newts, I have the tank all set up and it has been for a week now. I've read alot about keeping them and would say I'm quite confident in doing a good job.

However I went to the pet shop 2 days ago to buy the newts and one of the women working there has told me the tank has to stand for at least eight weeks before she will sell them to me. Now I'm confused. This isn't something I've come across while researching. Is she right? Do I need to let the tank stand for 8 weeks? What would the benefits be? I've read the water needs to stand for 48 hours to dechlorinate, which I've done. I hope someone can help.

Thanks a Bundle

Emma :happy:

8 weeks is very long. Don't know why it's said. Normaly 2 weeks is enough. In this time, bacteria can reproduce, but they also needs to feed. This is almost not possible when their are no higher animals in de tank (newts or fish). Until that time the biological balance isn't complete. I also uses shrimp and other little waterbugs who are harmless to newts, and a lot of plants.

But what specie do you mean with Red fire bellied newt...?

Regards Joost

8 weeks is a little on the longer side than it´s usually required for a tank to cycle, but it´s nonetheless good advice. A month is usually suficcient though. I´m surprised a pet-shop worker is even mentioning it.
Cycling the tank is very important, you can find information about this process in the links in my signature (the one marked care articles).
I would like to suggest that you consider other species. You see, the Cynops orientalis (i suposse this is the species that you refer to with red fire belly newt) that are sold in pet-shops, are ALL wild caught in China. The importation process takes a toll on the numbers and health of the animals, and the pet-shops usually make it worse by providing the wrong care, or neglecting them altogether. The result is that the majority of the animals are extremely stressed, inmunodepressed, ill, emaciated, etc...
Many die shortly after being purchased, and normally it´s because of infections.

I´m saying this, because i think there are far better options for a begginner to start with, like for example Pleurodeles waltl or the genus Triturus. They are all extremely easy to care for and easily available as captive bred from local breeders, which will guarantee that you get quality, healthy and accostumed to captivity newts (plus you don´t contribute to the wild caught market of C.orientalis).

Thank you guys so much for your help. Its good to know there are sites like this with so much information.

Thanks A Bundle.

Speaking from experience, I leave here two councils valid:
1 - The hurry is the enemy of perfection.
2 - For reasons already mentioned here, do not buy newts in the petshops .
Of the five Cynops orientalis with which I started, bought in petshops, two of them had been mutilated, ending one of them die after two days. The other, which had a front leg recovered there, I put a load of work with him. Fortunately today it has a little hunting.
I have helped!

most newts in petshops are indeed wc. But they don't have to get diseases al the time, because they are wc. Most problems come from the bad sendings (stress) and to shops who don't know how to take care of them. This could also happen with captive bred animals. I've got a lot of wild caught animals, and they are all doing very well.

Joost

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back