New: tank questions

kaylalouise

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

i am new to this forum and i am thinking about buying an axolotls as a pet.

i was hoping to buy a 2ft tank and put it on my computer des instead of having a computer there, but it wont fit.

so my thought was to maybe get rid of my desk all together and buy a 3 foot tank on a cabinet. but than i was wondering if it was a bit extreme, pricey.

my other thought is perhapes getting a new desk and jsut getting a 2ft tank and having it on the desk.

any thoughts?

i was wondering if anyone good give me a run through for all the stuff i will need for the tank, and specific brands that people use?

thanks =)

Hi kayla,

The bigger the tank you get, the better it is. A larger water volume makes managing the tank easier due to less fluctuations in chemistry. A larger tank also allow you to place more hiding spots and other necessary items in your tank without overcrowding. A large tank can also ultimlately allow you to keep more than 1 axie in the future.

With tanks, get the biggest you can afford and safely place in your house. It is the most important and determining investment.

A 2 foot tank is on the small side and at best only 1 axie can be comfortably kept in there.

thank you again for your response.

this are the tank im looking at getting:

3FT FISH TANK - VGC...FULL SET UP..P/UP SYDNEY... - eBay Fish Tanks, Fish, Pet Supplies, Home. (end time 08-Nov-09 19:29:03 AEDST)

any thoughts or recommendations?

im thinking i will put in on my desk or get a new desk for it to sit on. my desk is near my window but ideal i would have it in between where a the computer would go so hopefully that would provide some shade. as well as plan and other objects.

do you have trouble with keeping the temperature down?

hi kayla
i did the same thing i when a bought i 2ft tank and it was too small for larry. we went a got a 3 ft tank($280) and a good filter($150) and things are so much easlier. we have got a few plastic soft trees, 2 rocks, a log for him to hide in, a temp gauge, a air filter to blow bubbles.

so do you tink 3ft wil be enough?

it says it has a hood filter?

what does this mean?

It means it will suck up from a tube hanging down and spray out form the hood =]

When you think about it, buying a bigger tank in the first place is so much more cost effective.

Just a quick note, if your going to put it beside your computer make sure it is where the heat from the computer won't blow on it. It may not seem like a lot of heat but it will defnitely increase the water temperature.

oh the tank wont be near my computer. i was jsut saying that where i put the the tak the space where a computer would usually go on a desk.

but after tlaking it trhough with my dad it might be best jsut to build a unit for it and have shelving above for me, because i dont think most computer workstations would be able to hold a full tank.

thank you again for your response.

this are the tank im looking at getting:

3FT FISH TANK - VGC...FULL SET UP..P/UP SYDNEY... - eBay Fish Tanks, Fish, Pet Supplies, Home. (end time 08-Nov-09 19:29:03 AEDST)

any thoughts or recommendations?

I have an aquarium with a hood filter and there's one thing you should think about. I have a Marineland with a bio-wheel filter. It's quite, it filters well. but to clean the tank you have the take the WHOLE hood off. And there is only a small door that opens to feed. Maybe that isn't the type of tank this is, but you might want to ask them. If you can't get to the water readily, it could make the money you saved not seem like such a good deal.

I think its a good idea to build your own stand for it or buy one with a stand. Coz i too dont think a computer desk will take the weight of a 3 foot tank. Mel

yep that was my dads thought.

so i think i will wait to i get a tank see how heavy its going to be and go from there acordingly

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back