Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Large Rocks & Pebbles????

GemzD26

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ive just bought a 4 1/2 foot tank yesterday to house my adult Axies in as im doing a swap about with my Tanks.

Ive decided to go for a slate bottom,instead of sand as i have it in my other tanks and can be quite time consuming to clean everyday.

I was thinking of getting large rocks or pebbles to ground my silk plants to the bottom and to put on top of their elbow bends and tubes.

Only problem is i cannot find pebbles 2" plus incase they get any ideas of swallowing them biggest ive found is 1"

Could i go dowm to the beach and soak and clean pebbles and add them to the tank??, Or would that be silly cause they had been soaked in the sea?

Or can anyone give me any advice on whare to obtain pebbles naturally if possible.

I dont have any freshwater rivers anywhare near whare i live or i would try and get from there if possible.

Thanks in advance :confused:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as the pebbles are made of a hard stone (not limestone, shells, etc), they should be fine. Soaking or boiling should be fine. (If boiling, put stones in cold water and heat slowly to avoid any possibility of them exploding.) Any amount of residual salt would be much too small to affect your tank water.

GemzD26

Reaction score
Hi Jennewt,

Thats for the reply,well i got a heap today and gave them a good clean,now in the tank waiting for it to cycle and once ready it will be my axolotls paradise. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1