Help - Fights during feeding

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Since I have the cyanurus ever seen them fighting for food, put the every day struggles are becoming more violent! Just now when I ran up a food on the other, biting each other and squealing! Is this normal? Have you ever noticed this behavior in your ? I'm afraid that it hurt, I think I will start giving food to one at a time with tweezers, what they say?

Tanks!

I actually have those "feeding frenzies" quite a bit. It happens mostly when it has been a couple of days between feeding. These little piggies build up in a group and when food is around they start nipping at everything. I have heard the loud squeaks from time to time but have never seen any damage.

Try to feed more frequently and sprinkle the food over a greater area so they are not packed all together.

Mitch

Oh yes! They not only bite each other, if we take the tweezers or my fingers also go there! I had already given this behavior for granted in them, but today was over. But now I'm sure it was because I had been a couple of days without food!
Tanks

I have the same issue with my alpines. They turn into a writhing ball of newt and start ferociously chomping down on feet, tails, faces....whatever they can reach to bite. This happens as soon as they see the worm container. And, by no means are they ever underfed...mine are on the meatier side. They eat until full at the least every other day!

As has been suggested spread the food out more. Also maybe try feeding them more often for a few weeks to see if the situation improves.

You shouldn't worry, this fights are harmless.
I wouldn't recomend feeding them more often cause judging by what you said, it seems like you feed them every other day, and feeding them every day is just a bit too much.
What i would recomend, because it's worked for me to some extent, is to throw in the food before they get all excited. If they get excited by seeing you moving around, and the twezers, etc, they'll be in frenzy by the time the food is available to them. If the food is already there they will find it one by one, and the fights will be minimized to a couple of nibbles.

Hi,
NecturusLindsay, I am all, I am waiting to receive a pair of alpines! Terrible! :D
Azhael, I usually feed them day in and day out, this time I put a few more days without food. Good answer!
Thank you all!

These fights are usually harmless however I and others have observed(especially with strong and particularly voracious sp. like Triturus karelinii and Pleurodeles waltl) quite nasty cosmetic injuries(missing feet, limbs, finnage, etc.). One of my waltl has a twisted back foot that I can only attribute to another newt grabbing it and deathrolling or similar. I can't say anything life threatening has been observed but I am sure this is quite stressful.

Spreading out the food and as Azhael mentioned get the food to them before they start biting each other seems to work. I'd love to hear any other solutions to this problem.

Feeding them less often and then bombing them with abundant food seems to make sure that they eat up before getting to each other but doesn't really make the behavior go away. Feeding them less but more frequently seems to result in a few of them hogging the food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back