Mold on cricket food

Babidi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey there.

Having recently picked up the smallest tub of crickets from the pet store that I could, I still have quite a few left over after each day of feeding time, since I only have two newts. Some of the food pellets that came with the crickets have since turned moldy and very smelly. Is it dangerous to feed my newts the crickets that have been in that enclosure, based on the idea that they may have been exposed to or ingested some of the mold?

It isn't likely that the mold is much danger to your newts. Saprophytic fungi (feeding on decaying material) does not necessarily indicate pathogenic fungi (disease-causing). Caudates live in a diverse and abundant saprophytic fungal environment. I would simply put the crickets in a clean container and not worry too much. At least it won't smell so bad for you.

Alright, thanks. That's the answer my paddletail wanted to hear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back