Photo: My new set up please trouble shoot

VAMP

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys new to forums n axies but been researching for 3 months before setting this tank up (mainly using this site) im go to list the key features im hoping for comments for improvement and the identification of any problems.

Tank :- 225 liter four foot tank

Filter :- 2 Hang on backs one 300/ltr and one 500/ltr at ends of tank water output is baffled by a series of glass sheets that spreads water across width of tank and allows small drips of water to reenter tank very little waterfall effect.

Air : A very small fish tank filled with substrate hiding a air wall that provides a platform for axie sit up on.

Substrate : a light layer of small gravel covered buy a large layer for big river rocks all these rocks are larger than axies head.

Plants :- Mostly fake, 1 wreath of real but dont know enough about plants in tanks to keep alive.

Hides :- 3 ,one half log, one pot,one fake cave.

Feeding platform :- one natural rock with a bowl like dip in center for pellets.

Other feeding :- 11 feeder fish (was 21 but axie went on feeding binge and now is very fat, i read here that they will not eat themselves to death i hope this is true). Also hand feeding blood worm and pellets.

Water :- Tank fully cycled no traces of ammonia or nitrite. water at 21-22c

Any advice on improvement really would help id also like to thank all members of forum of the advice on tank cycling and set up its help me greatly to get to this stage

Attachments

• axie.jpg
    axie.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 217
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I´d recomend to remove the small gravel. Even with the larger gravel on it, the axolotl may reach it and ingest it. The safest thing is to not use small gravel at all. You can use sand instead which is harmless.
Don´t be afraid of natural plants! There are some species that are dead easy to keep, like Elodea, java fern and java moss. Having natural plants is very useful cause they help a good deal in maintaining water quality, plus they carry and support a variety of microorganisms that are also benefitial.

I´d be wary of having so many fish. If feeder fish are going to be offered, it´s best to offer them by tweezers, or have just a few in the tank. Fish´s urine is pure ammonia which as you know is highly toxic for your axolotl. Additionally, even the smaller, most peaceful feeder fish can stress your axolotl by simply being there, cause caudates can chemically sense the presence of fish. They can also nibble on an ill axie.

My last piece of advice would be to include earthworms on its diet...in fact, earthworms are the best staple you can offer.

Good on you for doing all your research!

I echo what Azhael says and remove the gravel. I would also like to add that having any size stones in a layer on the bottom of the tank can make it hard to keep clean, debris will inevitably find it's way into the crevices between the stones.

Other than that I think your tank looks beautiful.

WOW I LOVE YOUR SETUP

It's so colourful =]
Good job on doing your research first!

hi guys just though id introduce axie it is after all her home on display

Attachments

• axieonlog3resize.jpg
    axieonlog3resize.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 164
Hiya. All looks and sounds great apart from the issues already raised. Also the temperature could do with bein lower than 20-21 degrees. Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back