Fire bellied newt+mountain minnows

superfin

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Chris
Hi everyone:D I have a coldwater fish tank but I found out it is to small to hold my fish.I am going to sell the dojo loaches but I hear that I can put my school of mountain minnows in with my fire bellied newts.I have 5 minnows and 3 fire bellied newts (soon to be 6 ;))

thanks in advance for the advice:grin:

chris:wacko:

your school will have lesser minnows during night, when they are resting... in a few days you probably have no minnows at all

In my experience, newts don't eat white cloud mountain minnows, the fish are too fast. How large is your tank? If you are getting new firebellies from a pet shop, don't forget to quarantine.

Do not put any kind of loach in with your newts or salamanders. They all have sharp retractable spines along the side of their heads!!! Not good for the mouths or throats of your animals which will try to eat them.

I'm not planning to put the loaches in because they are to big.Also I have bred the new newts myself.The tank is big,sorry I can't be more specific,I'll measure it in gallons when I get home.:happy:

thanks

There is a very helpful sticky on this topic, and a companion article on Caudata Culture you may want to have a look at.

it's a 22 gallon,and I will look for the article and sticky, thanks:D

So should I wait untill the weekend to put them in or can I do it later or tomorow?I would of done it earlier but I wasn't sure If I cold do anything about a problem the next day because I am bareley concious in the morning and I dont get back home untill 4pm.Anyway this is the last question I swear:lol:

I've done it now and they are all getting along:happy: thanks everyone

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back