Nitrogen Cycle Diagram by kinkyoto

Very well done. It would be great if we could immortalise your chart in the Ax Sanc site. The chart is accurate, clear, attractive and original. I highly encourage other members to cast their rep points vote for you (as i have).

For the sake of accuracy perhaps it should be shown that plants can also use ammonia, not just nitrates.
It´s a nice visual aid to understand the process, though, congrats.

For the sake of accuracy perhaps it should be shown that plants can also use ammonia, not just nitrates.
There aren't many aquarium plants that do that. I'm having a hard time thinking of any right now.

I think some types of algae do, and although usually unwanted, algae are part of an stablished tank. Anyway it´s probably not important at all...i just thought i´d mention it as a minor detail.

Really good! I love it! And the axie is so cute =)

I giggled out loud when I saw that axolotl, very cute. Definitely an informative picture too, nicely done. :D

thank you guys for all your comments
=]

kinkyoto, are you offering this for posting on Caudata.org? It looks like Darkmaverick has called dibs on it for AxSanc, if you're willing.

how would the imaged be used? and where would it go?
and could i get a link to the Ax Sanc site?
=]

This is super helpful and the Axolotl is uber cute =]

Just to take this daigram out of the tank, so to speak, and apply it to real life the imbalance within a tank that can occur within this cycle can also occur in our oceans. Nutrient pollution leads to a harmful algal bloom. Then the microscopic organisms die sink to the bottom where bacteria forms and deplets the water of oxygen, which results in deadzones and fish kills. Not exactly the same but quite applicable.

Just saying =]

There aren't many aquarium plants that do that. I'm having a hard time thinking of any right now.

This link suggests most aquatic plants preferentially utilise ammonia. Plant utilisation of nitrate involves expending energy to convert it back to ammonium before it can be incorporated into amino acids.
Aqua Botanic - Plants and biological filtration

This link suggests most aquatic plants preferentially utilise ammonia. Plant utilisation of nitrate involves expending energy to convert it back to ammonium before it can be incorporated into amino acids.
Aqua Botanic - Plants and biological filtration

Nice find!
I'll go update my picture later to show
ammonium intake from plants also.

Thanks for that.
Very good information.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back