Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is there such a thing as a ridge back newt?

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I was shopping for my chinese fire bellied newt a few months ago and the lady in the shop was really interested in newts and showed me another newt they had I am positive she said it was a ridge backed newt; however when I got back home I decided I'd have an investigate online - I found nothing; I did find ONE article at the time; and I have been searching again online with no results; I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it could have been?

Are any type of newts commonly mistaken as a ridge backed newt? I seem to recall he was about 5 inches at the time (he was HUGE in comparisson to my tiny CFB newt).

Thanks

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn´t ring any bell. Common names are so useless...
I suspect, being 5 inches long, it could have been a Pleurodeles waltl. Perhaps instead of ribbed they understood ridged..Ô_o

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've also seen this inventive term used to refer to warty newts (Paramesotriton).

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I've only seen Paramesotriton hongkongensis labeled as ridge back newts. They were always labeled as firebelly ridge back newts or something similar.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I've also seen this inventive term used to refer to warty newts (Paramesotriton).

I've only seen Paramesotriton hongkongensis labeled as ridge back newts. They were always labeled as firebelly ridge back newts or something similar.

Doesn´t ring any bell. Common names are so useless...

I agree the common name was useless; in fairness I wasn't paying much attention but I am sure the shop only do common names anyway.

I think the newt in question looked like a warty newt; but I don't think he had a coloured belly; like all the ones I've looked at do. I think he was greeny (not bright green but maybe greeny-brown); I think he was kept in a fairly dry tank with some water and not an aquatic set-up.

I would go back to the shop and have a look but it was a long drive away - I could call them but then if I get someone who has no clue what I am talking about they won't be able to help. None of the other stores closer to home seem to sell newts and especially not these ones.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
How about these pictures, Paramesotriton chinensis?

As far as information goes, what you can find on this is site about as good as it gets, I have yet to find a good care sheet on them.

I think he looks like the green(er) ones on there but he didn't have an orange stripe I don't think. I'll have an investigate.

EDIT: I meant to say I think he looked like the one on very bottom left.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1