Do Newts shed? If not...

Tigerpuffer

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a stupid question, but...
I was just cleaning out my Newts' tank (Chinese Firebelly, I know, I'm a newbie) when i found a long, clear strip of something. Upon closer inspection, it had the shape of a foot in it. And the only animals I have with feet are Newts. So do they shed, or is there anmother problem, and if so, what should I do for it?

I closely inspected all of the Newts' legs and found nothing visibly wrong...

This is a stupid question, but...
I was just cleaning out my Newts' tank (Chinese Firebelly, I know, I'm a newbie) when i found a long, clear strip of something. Upon closer inspection, it had the shape of a foot in it. And the only animals I have with feet are Newts. So do they shed, or is there anmother problem, and if so, what should I do for it?

I closely inspected all of the Newts' legs and found nothing visibly wrong...

Many species do shed. Often they eat it afterwards.

Shedding is natural,my firebeliies do it all the time but they usally eat the skin so im not sure why you found it

And the only animals I have with feet are Newts.
First off, LOL at the above...and you're sure about this?

Not to worry, newts do indeed shed as a regular part of growth. They can also shed as a sign of stress, but if your water parameters are all as they should be and you see no other signs of distress, I would say you're in the clear :happy:

Whoah, thanks for the help guys! For some reason I thought they didn't. I found the skin while feeding them. I feed them in a separate container because I find it easier for them to find it and it doesn't dirty up their tank.
So i figured one of them suffered an injury while being fed.

Thanks again for the info!

I would change the feeding if I were you,traveling from diffrent habbitats can be stressful for the newts.What I do is put whatever you feed the newts in a jar or cup,fill the cup or jar with tank water,wait for the food t settle to the bottom of the container,put your hand over the container,sumberge the container in the tank and then take your hand away.It's really effective and it leaves basically no mess and the mess it does make you can siphon out with turkey baster.

Looks to me like somebody needs to read the Newt&Sal FAQs;) Loads of good info there that is sure to be needed at some point.

When I first got my newts I didn't realise they shed either; I'd done so much research on them before hand but no where EVER did it state they shed their skin.

Anyway I have a feeding bowl in my tank, and the first shedding I found sat in the food bowl next to the blood worms (lovely) and the second shedding I went to check on the newts after changing their tank layout, you know to make sure they were ok, and I found one of them with a tail (sheaded skin) sticking out of his mouth; it was gross to watch but he was kind of fighting with it to "restrain it" (like they do when they eat); gross but very funny.

Here is your chance to laugh out loud...

Up until a few months ago, I had no idea that newts molted as a normal function. I had always assumed they did this only when ill. The first time I witnessed some of mine doing it in process I felt like a complete idiot.

Anecdotes aside, I managed to get pictures of it!

sludgemunkey-albums-critters-picture7397-cynops-ensicauda-popei-shedding.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back