British TV Show 'QI'

flan123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mike
They ran a piece on the Axolotl. Hosted by Stephen Fry.

First of all they indicated that 'you can inject them with iodine to metamorphose them'

And secondly, he also said, and I quote "You can cut off a limb and it will grow back!"

For a man of Stephen Fry's stature, I think this is highly irresponsible to say the least. I'm seriously thinking about e-mailing them to ask for justification.

:S
I´m a huge fan of Stephen Fry (the man cracks me up xD), and i can only suspect that he was badly informed. Pitty, though, cause if he had given accurate and responsible info about this, it would have been quite educational.

I saw this originally, in fact it was where I first heard of axolotls and what led me to this site where I did research before purchasing. I think like most segments on QI, it's meant to be informative rather than suggestive. They also mentioned about the research value of axolotls because of limb regeneration but I doubt they meant to imply everyone should become scientists too.

While I appreciate that this was slightly irresponsible, people need to remember that this is a show based on facts and debunking myths, all of which was said on the show about axolotls is true. When you consider that they talk about facts from one extreme to another, an example being that a blue whale can only swallow at biggest something the size of a grapefruit I cant imagine for one second that they expect people to go hurling themselves at a bluewhale to test the truth of it. The same thing can be said for axolotls, I dont think any sane person would actually attempt to do any of the things that Stephen Fry mentioned. And to be fair if they did then the chances are they're just unhinged anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back