Axolotl in litterature

jloo

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello Everybody,

Do you know ''classic writings'', novels or short stories talking about Axolotl ?

I know only the Julio Cortazar's text on Axolotl ( Axolotl - Julio Cortázar - Ciudad Seva ), but have you heard of Axolotl in litterature ?
Maybe in H.P. Lovecraft or in fantasy's stories ? :confused:

Thank you,

jloo

I don't think there are any axolotls in Lovecraft; his monster looks more like some kind of squid.

Not exactly classic literature but there are a couple of (fiction) books here in Germany involving axolotls:

31hgzZBCHHL._SS500_.jpg

414LfFu-tVL._SS500_.jpg

-Eva

Thanks you blueberlin for your contribution.
but I prefer searching in literature for adults ^^

I want to write an article for a french research conference on hybrid/monstruosity/animality in literature, and I think about my subject.
With Axolotls, a lot of links exist between them and : humanity / condition of the Writer / hesitation of the Self, etc....
For the moment, I've only the Cortazar's short story about Axolotl.

So if somebody find some texts with Axoltls (even if they've a short role or if they're only mentionned), don't hesitate ^^

Thank you very much !

Hi jloo,

I don't know of any other literary works involving axolotls, but I was thinking, maybe if you wanted to broaden the subject matter of your article, you could use similar ideas. For example, there is a book called 'War with the Newts' by a Czech writer called Karel Capek, which I highly recommend. I think a film might be in the pipeline too. Also a film was made in 1910 called L'axolotl by a company called Pathe Freres. I am not sure what it is like, but you can check it out on the Imdb website.

I hope this is of some help, sorry if you already have this information, and good luck with the article.

:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back