Help!!!!

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I came home from school just moments ago and my axolotl is laying on the ground on his side! His mouth is partly open and I'm pretty sure he's still breathing but I have no idea what to do. I took him out and put him in the fridge in fresh cool water. I posted this early: "My axolotl has very forward gills, which I know is a sign of stress! I'm not sure why he's stressed out, he was a little stuck by a plant a moment ago, but nothing he couldn't get out of, so I don't think that's the problem. He is moving his gills a lot, like moving the water around his gills. Does this mean that the water is bad? Not enough oxygen? Should I do a water change right away? My temperature is good, there are no pebbles in my tank (I have sand), my filter is on the lowest flow setting (has been since I got him), I do have live plants (a few live snails but they're all as small as the sand), and I'm not sure what else could be wrong. Should I just wait and see if he's still stressed later? Any help on this would be great. Thank you."

And now this happened! Please help!!!!!! HELP!

Should I take him to a vet? I don't think they even know what axolotls are!

Pictures of my sick axolotl

Attachments

• DSC08816.jpg
    DSC08816.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC08815.jpg
    DSC08815.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 193
Ohh that looks bad =/ What is that darker mark on his neck?
I think right now putting him in the fridge and calling different vets to ask is the only thing to do.

Hope it'll get fixed!!

I've never seen that kind of mark like he has under his mouth and neck. Does it looks like peeled skin?

It's looked like that since I got him (I've had him for like four months, and he's been super healthy, eating fine and everything!), I had thought it was weird at first too but I looked up other pictures and saw other axolotls like that, so I thought it was okay.

=O
omg!
i hope your axolotl is gona be fine.
i noticed that it has long gills, could be a sign that your water doesnt have much oxygen.
it's probably suffocating.
maybe add a bubbler or increase flow but only on the surface.
='[
i hope your lil buddy gets better.
other than that, it looks pretty good.

Ok, then I didn't say anything, never saw that but like humans, they all have marks!

How is he now? At which temp?

Putting your axolotl in the fridge is the best option. Make sure the container is covered with a cloth so the lights do not stress it. Remember to do daily dechlorinated water changes. Keep a bottle of prepared water in the fridge ready, this will prevent shock caused by different temperatures.
Looking at the cloaca, it seems somewhat large and open.

Possible cloacal prolapse. The darkened neck and cloacal region are symptoms of inflammation, increased perfusion. The axie could be in pain (open mouth). I highly recommend you bring it to a vet ASAP. Frdging is useful but will not treat the condition.

Thanks, I did take it to a vet right away, and he had eaten a bunch of sand. But because he was so sluggish it was too late. The vet said he didn't have much of a chance...And I didn't want him to be in pain.

So I won't ever use sand again in future cases if I should ever get another one...

Sorry for your loss. Sand is still a safe substrate. I suspect your axie ingested gravel that caused the problem. When i looked at your photos again, it seems that there are couple of larger pea sized gravel amongst the sand. Those are the type of substrate that poses an impaction risk. As long as the substrate particle is less than 2mm diameter, it does not pose an impaction risk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back