Question: Which canister filter should I get?

virago

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are we allowed to discuss brand names? I have a 55 u.s. gallon aquarium and I am trying to decide which canister filter to get.

I hear that two smaller ones may be better than one larger. I know that the filter should be fit for the size of my tank/volume of water.

If I use one filter that fits my needs, can I just use a long spray bar to eliminate "dead space?"

There are three name brands that I am thinking about...

I have 4 Eheim filters, used on a 56gal, 30 gal cube, 20 gal & a 75 gal aquarium. These are all planed tanks, I have set the filters up and they run great. They are expensive at first but I have had 2 of my filters for over ten years & the other two about 5 years. I think I have spent maybe $30.00 in replacement parts for all 4 filters since I've had them.
Regards,
Ed

I have never tried any filter other than Eheim, which means that I can't offer an educated answer to your first question. To answer about spray bars, though, I attached a series of two or three to span the entire back side of the tank. This works really well, keeping water flow minimal and still allowing a little trickle to move the water surface across the length of the tank.

-Eva

With a canister filter, you can put your input and your output tubes on the opposite sides of the tank. This eliminates the need for two filters, as the water will cycle evenly through the tank.

That being said, I have used Rena Filstar filters, which are literally half the price of other canister filters, for years, and only had one issue (a motor burnt up about an hour after I plugged it in the first time), which the company rectified very quickly.

Thanks everybody, I purchased a Rena Filstar xP1. It is not set up yet as I am still working on my slate tile floor. You can see pictures in my album on my profile. I may try an Eheim or Fluval in my 20 gallon. Will I have to use a mini cainister filter on the 20 gallon?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back