Question: Underweight axolotl

Niommy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone, sorry for the long post, I was hoping someone could advice me about how much I've been feeding my axolotl's. The thing is I only got them a week ago from the pet store and they seem really underweight. I read that the rule is the belly and head should be about the same width. Well Coco and Banana's bellies are about 2/3rd the size of their head!

They both are really hungry too and eat just about anything I wiggle infront of them, but I don't want to make them sick by over-feeding or starve them because I'm scared of over-feeding them!

They're both about 15-17cm in length and I've been giving them about 1 big worm each from the garden (I chop them into 4 pieces, and the garden has never had chemicals used on it) and a bloodworm cube each every second day. Sometime they still seem hungry so I drop them a pellet each too.

So if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated!

Ni

ps. Also if they're 15-17cm long does anyone know how old that would make them? It's not really important but I'm curious :happy:

I don't have axolotls but as no one has answered your question, I say it sounds OK. When I want to get my newts to eat, I give them garden earthworms (I have an organic garden too) every day. Maybe one a day. I think you could try feeding them a worm a day.

Hi,

I agree with otterwoman. I would feed them every day, but not too much - one worm every day is fine. You should feed them a various diet f.e. blackworms, bloodworms, waxworms, critters, slaters and little pieces of fish-filet, too.

Normally axies at this size are about 8,9 months old. But it depends and varies on their upbringing.

Greetz, Tina

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back