Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Summer's here=Water Temperature rising=help needed

rachellag

Reaction score
I've done a bit of reading and saw that axels can't survive in water over 20-22 degrees. Now that it is summer, room temperature will soar and I am scrambling for ideas on what to do.

-Frozen water bottle method seems impractical
-Water chillers extraordinarily costly

Radical idea... Can I put the whole tank, filter and all in my spare bar fridge, leave the temp on the warmest setting and they can call that home for the summer. Can anyone foresee any problems with this? I want the filter hooked up so I don't have to do 100% water changes everyday as per sick axel fridging requirements. Is this a ridiculous idea????

Any help would be appreciated!

kinkyoto

Reaction score
you could get one of those big electric fans that dont use up too much electricity and just have it pointed at your tank 24/7.

rachellag

Reaction score
The problem here in Australia is that the typical room temperature in summer is in the 30's, sometimes higher. I don't think a fan alone will do the trick, as I already have a little one right on top of the tank and don't think it is making a huge difference.

rachellag

Reaction score
You can always just fridge your axies in tubs over summer.

I want to avoid the 100% water changes everyday, which is why I thought of putting the whole tank in the fridge, this way there is a running filter. The question is, will the filter work effectively in the cold water and keep the tank cycling properly?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
You could always put the tank in the fridge without the filter and just do a 10-20% water change once or twice a week.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe im a bit technologically dense but how do you power your filter in the fridge?? I am trying to figure out connection outlets etc.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
A fan will only cool the water about 2 degrees. The tank in a spare frig would work fine. There sould be nothing but insulation in the door and probally the sides. Drill a hole and run some airline tubing into the frig and use a internal sponge filter. Seal the hole with some silicone. I would start saving for a chiller. Its hard to enjoy your animals when they live in the frig.

rachellag

Reaction score
A fan will only cool the water about 2 degrees. The tank in a spare frig would work fine. There sould be nothing but insulation in the door and probally the sides. Drill a hole and run some airline tubing into the frig and use a internal sponge filter. Seal the hole with some silicone. I would start saving for a chiller. Its hard to enjoy your animals when they live in the frig.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking of doing with the fridge arrangement, but instead of drilling a hole, I was going to cut through the rubber seal around the door for the airline tubing. Darkmaverick-the power would be external, as would be the air pump. I'd only have a long air tube connected to the filter running into the fridge.

I do completely agree with you on the enjoyment factor, and had the pet shop owner been a bit more knowledgeable about the axolotls and their healthy maintenance, and myself a bit more clued in, I could have made a more informed choice. I do really enjoy the little guys though!

kaylalouise

Reaction score
where did you purchase your chiller from and hwo expesive was it?

do you know have to worrya bout the temperate then during summer?

i get owrried that on a hot day if i go out, the water will heat up and i wont be there to do anything

PatricALOTL

Reaction score
I worry on hot days too!:eek: and will often call home, when im not there, so people will check on the temps in the tanks. on sunday nov 22nd it was like 40 degrees C. on the central coast!!! i was so worried about the tank temps i just hovered around it all day putting frozen ice bottles in it, and changing them over seamlessly to avoid fluctuations
it was quite an effort watching it for like 12 hours straight!

i went on this site, read through alot of posts, and thats when i thought about using our spare bar fridge and keeping like a 15L or bigger plastic storage container (ours will fit 30L fine) and using a filter ect, similar to your idea

i posted my idea on a new thread, you should check it out, it might help come to a better idea of how this might work.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!