A bunch of questions about Axolotls!

PspKicks316

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay. I've been looking these little guys up and I REALLY want to get one.
I go to a Marine Science school, and deal with taking care of fish and turtles everyday, so I'm sure I can handle an Axolotl.

On to the questions. I hope you guys can help me out.
Now, the smallest tank is a 10gal, right?
I should use a sponge filter I read. Is this good?
The water level should be as high as the Axie is long?
pH between 6.5 and 8.0? I think.
The water needs to be relatively still as to not stress them out.
Live or plastic plants?
Would live plants be better for oxygenating the water?
Pellets and small aquatic animals that fit in their mouths for food. Snails, worms, small fish. right?
I should keep a fluorescent light about the tank so the light is at a constant and not drastically changing?
Water temps between 58-68F?
Feed every Monday and Friday.
Partial water change once a week.
The part of the room the tank would be on is my entertainment center. I've got a 5ch (soon to be 7.2ch) surround sound setup. Will the bass bother the fish?

Is there anything else I'm missing? Any tips and help appreciated! I'm really excited and hoping to get one soon!

i could answer some of your questions.
depending on the size of the axolotl you are getting, i think 10g is too small.
try a 20g first.

much younger axolotls need to be fed everyday but feed them everyother day when they get bigger.

and the sound system could stress out the axolotl. =[

i dont use any lighting for my tank

The entertainment center sounds like a bad idea. Not only will the vibrations stress the animal, but it could heat the water substantially. I would find somewhere else to put the tank...

There are many filters that will work fine, just make sure it is compatible with the tank volume, and try to minimize any current. Also, you will probably need to do some spot cleaning here and there to remove waste (a turkey baster works well for this) as the filter won't get everything.

Earthworms or high quality carnivore pellets are good staples, fish are to be used as occasional treats if used at all, and snails are a no-no.

A light is not necessary at all for the animal, but for enjoyment purposes or for live plants a low intensity light that produces as little heat as possible is fine.

Live plants are beneficial to the aquarium environment, I prefer them. They will raise the oxygen content, but only a little. They are more helpful in terms of converting waste. Plastic plants are easier to clean, however.

Most of what you need to know can be found in multiple areas around the site, and I'm sure someone with more axolotl experience will answer your other questions soon!

I kinda figured the bass would bother them. I'm probably going to end up wall mounting my speakers soon.
Thanks guys! =]

In some tests a few years ago we discovered frequencies under 150 Hz can cause stress, So I would have to agree about the location of your tank.

Good Luck

my tank will be going in my room.

if i play music loud will that annoy them?

it wouldnt be a regular thing and it wouldnt be loud enought htat you can hear out side my room?

if i play music loud will that annoy them?

it wouldnt be a regular thing and it wouldnt be loud enought htat you can hear out side my room?

You should be ok. The best thing to do is to watch your axolotl when you turn on the music. If it begins darting around the tank or jumping after a loud beat then you know it is too loud.

You didn't ask about what to put on the bottom of the tank. You shouldn't use any gravel at all. Either a bare bottom tank (you can paint the bottom ouside the tank) or you can use sand. Some people have been useing slate tiles on the bottoms of their tanks. But never use any gravel that is smaller than an adult axie head as they will probaly eat it and get sick. This seems to be the number 1 mistake of new Axie owners make. Also a 10 gallon is to small you need a 20 gallon. And make sure you cycle it BEFORE you get your Axie. Good luck Bill

Okay. I knew about the gravel, I just forgot to mention it.
Thanks so much guys!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back