Question: Newt from the wild won't eat =(

Newt Guy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
taricha granulosa
SO, I live in washington state, and i found a newt yesterday in a forest. It is about 4 inches long and is brownish red on top and bright yellowish orange on the bottom. I dont know the species, which is actually another question of mine, but anyways now to my real question. I put it in a home that is a lot like where i found it, lots of water, and leaves and rocks. But it won't eat! I tried feeding it a frozen cube of blood worms, which it was interested in but wouldnt eat. And some pheonix worms, which it tried to eat, but then spat it out, so please help if you know anything about newts, and maybe by the description could maybe tell me what kind of newt it is. Thanks a lot

The newt is some kind of Taricha. I couldnt say what species without pics. If it is four inches, it is a juvenile or young adult. Wild caught newts take time to acclimate a lot of times. Pheonix worms are quite nutritous but may not be too palatable for some newts. Chopped earthworms are nutritious and usually very well excepted by all newts and sals. I would try those. In the water section they can be left for a day or two but should be removed if uneaten. Look at the caudata culture article. Here is caudataculture. There are also good general housing, feeding, care, etc information as well as pictures of set-ups.

thanks =]
what about brine shrimp? are they good? I heard newts love them and will practically kill to get one, lol. What is your thought on frozen brine shrimp? Or newt pellets. Thanks

Some newts love brine shrimp, so it's worth a try. Be careful though, they will muck up the tank water. Be sure to remove all uneaten food promptly. Newt pellets are less likely to be eaten. The #1 best food is chopped earthworm. Bait shop nightcrawlers work fine. Be sure to read the FAQ on the site that caudatadude linked.

thanks jennewt, are earthworms that are like found in my grass okay to feed my newts?

If your yard is chemical free and no one around you uses chemicals, they should be great.

thanks jennewt, are earthworms that are like found in my grass okay to feed my newts?

Hey there,

As long as the worms you get from your garden aren't anywhere near places where pesticides
or fertilizers might be used, then they are fine. When I collect worms from my garden I then put them over filtered water to remove any dirt that is stuck on them and then feed them to my newts.
Hope this helps.
-Frank

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you better release the newt back to where you found it. Washington protects all native newts and salamanders from collection.

thanks =]
what about brine shrimp? are they good? I heard newts love them and will practically kill to get one, lol. What is your thought on frozen brine shrimp? Or newt pellets. Thanks

One of my newts loves them, the other seems pretty scared of them.

thanks, but im not releasing it hunter

Besides the fact that it's illegal to take this species from the wild where you live, the problem you're having getting your wild caught newt to eat is one of the reasons people should choose captive bred animals as pets. Good luck, I guess.

Not good to post that you are keeping illegal animals where the law lurks

It is not uncommon for WC animals to not eat while acclimating to new surroundings. Be patient and good luck. My fire belly newts didn't eat for weeks when I got them.

Good luck,
Dana

I know this is going to sound rude, and i apologize in advance...
If the laws in your area say it´s illegal to collect native caudates, you have absolutely no right to say you just don´t care and you are keeping it. In adition to being ilegal, it´s inmoral!! The laws are there for a reason, and the reason is to protect animals that are endangered or threatened...you have no right to take those home.
Even if they weren´t protected...they aren´t yours to take, you know....nature is not a big free pet-shop.

I know this is going to sound rude, and i apologize in advance...
If the laws in your area say it´s illegal to collect native caudates, you have absolutely no right to say you just don´t care and you are keeping it. In adition to being ilegal, it´s inmoral!! The laws are there for a reason, and the reason is to protect animals that are endangered or threatened...you have no right to take those home.
Even if they weren´t protected...they aren´t yours to take, you know....nature is not a big free pet-shop.

At the risk of being unpopular, I agree with this...minus the apology.
There are plenty of readily available captive bred amphibians in your country, there simple is no excuse to take from the wild.

At the risk of being unpopular, I agree with this...minus the apology.
There are plenty of readily available captive bred amphibians in your country, there simple is no excuse to take from the wild.
Theres nothing wrong with it, it lives perfectly fine in my house. :) and i checked the laws, there are no laws that say i can't keep animals i find from the wild, unless they are endangered, which T. Granulosa's aren't.

im sorry to offend anyone but i agree i think there i nothing wrong with keeping him. if he is safe and healthy indoors it should be ok and also takes out the risk of being eaten in the wild. i take in many strays which include my 3 cats,2 dogs, 3 cosmos and my cockatiel. all would be in the spca, killed or homeless. the only animals i payed for are my 3 axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back