Question: Filter size in relation to tank?

virago

Reaction score
Country
United States
I posted a question before with no response. It was titled, "Which canister filter should I get?" I am re-wording it with specifics.

If I have a 55 gallon U.S. aquarium and the water level is not full can I use a filter that says "up to 45 gallons?"

Here is what I am thinking...

Rena FilStar XP1 Canister Filter up to 45 gallons

Rena Filstar xP2 Canister Filter up to 75 Gallon

I am also thinking about...
EHEIM 2232 Ecco External Canister Filter up to 35 gallons

EHEIM 2234 Ecco External Canister Filter up to 60 gallons

I've been reading so much on here and want to make the right purchase. If the filter is too powerful will the current will be too strong? If the filter is not powerful enough will it cause "dead space?"

I'd go for the Rena FilStar XP1 Canister Filter up to 45 gallons, only because it seems like the perfect size for the job.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back