Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Decolored gills?

mast0318

Reaction score
Hi there.

Recently I noticed that something strange with my Axis' gill.

As you see on the picture, normal gills are dark brown.
But some gills looks white,,, What is this?

Should I start fridging?

Attachments

• aaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaa.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 139

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Were the gill filaments darkly coloured previously? Was the colour change sudden or gradual? Any fuzziness around the gills? Any other signs of ill health or stress?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Your axolotl also looks a little thin. What are you feeding it? Perhaps try to give earthworms daily to build it up a bit.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi mast0318,

Although fridging an axolotl will not harm it, it is generally best not to begin a treatment before you know what the problem is.

From what I can see in the photo, it does not look like a fungus. It kind of seems to me like the filaments have been injured. Is your axolotl kept with other axolotls or fish, etc., that could have bit his gills?

-Eva

oceanblue

Reaction score
If this is the same axolotl as your previous post it is looking a lot better if still a little thin. I think the pale gill filaments are just regenerated ones and like the new limbs they are not yet very pigmented and may remain pale.

Keep on feeding it and try to keep water conditions good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1