Hi, my name is Jon and I like salamanders.

Jonomander

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in the Pacific Northwest, so I have many amphibian neighbors. If you don't know about the Seattle, Washington or Portland, Oregon climate, let me just say that it is wet enough that some of the people are suspected of having webbed feet.

For many years I have shared my home with a firebellied newt (cynops pyrrhogaster, I think) from the pet store. I call him Stieglitz, after the photographer. My mom just calls him Sniggy. She gave him that nickname when we thought he might be a she. It seems to me that after ten years, he's comfortable enough with whatever I call him, as long as I keep dropping in that midge larvae- yum!

I like to see all the salamanders that live in the area too. I can't help rolling over logs during the summer and seeing who's hanging out. Someday I'll learn how to properly use my camera to get those macro-shots and I'll share some of what I find.

Anyway, thanks for being here. Mucho gusto.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back