Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axie has a slight case of Columnaris (Fluff on gills)

xXNetRavenXx

Reaction score
Hey so last weekend one of my two axolotls has gotten a fungus on its gills, its not that bad (small patch on two gills), its not getting worse but its not getting better.

So I had their tank mostly covered for a couple days (to cause a nice stress free environment) and I was watching to see if it got worse or better.... so it stayed the same.

I checked the parameters of my tank and everything was in good shape, I have not checked for ammonia so if anything is out of balance it would be that...

Anyways I have decided to go to faze two and either give it a salt bath (which I have prepared right next to me) and/or quarantine the axie in another tank (which I have set up with fresh water), But I am hesitant to do both and over stress the axie or maybe if i should just quarantine the axolotl from the other one and watch her first... any suggestions?

xXNetRavenXx

Reaction score
Well I decided not to wait any longer and start anministering salt baths and moving them both to a different aquarium, the other one starting having a tiny spot of fluff on its gill too... I hope they get better!

xXNetRavenXx

Reaction score
Okay so I gave them both a salt bath for about 10min, then I moved them to another tank, the water in the other tank is just declorinized water and not really treated for premium axolotl habit but I figure if they are in fresh water it ups their survival and recovery then if they were left in their other obviously stressful environment.

Attachments

• P1010409.jpg
    P1010409.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5,771
  • P1010410.jpg
    P1010410.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,946
  • P1010411.jpg
    P1010411.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,943

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

yes, that´s a fungus and you`ve been right doing a salt-bath and quarantine them. You have to do salt-baths twice a day (but I think you know that).
Good luck for your axie!:happy:

Greetz, Tina

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Provide salt baths twice per day preferably spaced out 8-10 hours apart for 3 days, thereafter, reduce to once per day for the rest of the week. Monitor accordingly.

BlackXBurn

Reaction score
Bad case of fuzz! Help!!

So my tanks temp went up to about 21-22c for a day and then I managed to get it back down to its normal usual temp of about 16-18c....two days later my axie (who I call Axle) has white fuzz looking stuff on his back legs and a little on the top of his gills. Also his gills are slightly curled up and tail curled inward, tail fin has receded a little, and he's got some redness around his toes and end of his tail. I'm doing my best to restore his tank to normal. Ph is ok and temp is normal. While checking over his tank I have removed him from his tank and put him in a separate container that I treated to remove chlorine and metals etc... Should I salt bath him? Fridge him? He's not eating either and I'm worried on which step is best. I don't want to do too much at once and make things worse by stressing him even more! Advice please!! Im really attached to him and Can't stand seeing him suffer like this! I've owned him for at least 8 months as well as another axolotl (in separate tanks) and have never EVER had any problems caring for them.... PLEASE PLEASE HELP US, I CAN'T BEAR TO SEE HIM GO!!

BlackXBurn

Reaction score
P.s
I'm on my iPad and can't figure out how to attach pics but I can email some pics of axle if anyone would like to try and help him out?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Please not this is not columnaris. Columnaris is a bacterial infection that affects fish. Also note that technically speaking, this is not fungal either. This is actually an infection by a fungus-like protist.

BlackXBurn

Reaction score
Idint think it was columnaris but since I don't know what it is exactly I figured with an explanation and maybe a few pics someone here could help me figure out what to do?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!