Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My Axolotl bloated with red dot on belly

katiegirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone, really hope you can help me. Our axolotl Spot has been bloated for about 3-4 weeks. (at first we just thought he was just getting a lil chubby), now today we noticed a red spot on his lower stomach and his bloating has gotten worse. He however still has an appetite, though now where near as ferocious as it used to be, he is not floating, yet he doesnt swim to the top anywhere near as much as he used to. Today we noticed Spot appeared to be pooing green looking like poo along with solid.

We have just put Spot in the fridge (which I'm still feeling very nervous about)

He has a varied diet including frozen -blood worms, dry cube - tubifex worms, frozen brine shrimp and occasionally feeder fish (which he can still hunt fine). He is not fed everyday. He used to swim to the top every morning when i stuck my head over the tank and said morning, now he barely swims up.

Can someone please provided any suggestions as to what is wrong? and how can we get him better? and is the fridge truely OK for him?

Thank you in advance
Katie

narna

Reaction score
Hi Katiegirl,

I have a sick axolotl at the moment, I to was nervous about putting her in the fridge, but they seem to be ok, she has been in there for 24 hours now, and I think it is the only thing keeping her alive!!

Good Luck.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Fridging is a good idea. Summer has resulted in days of extreme heat. Many axies perish during this period due to elevated temperatures. Red dots are essentially bruises/haemorrhage indicative of a clotting/coagulation defect or blood vessel compromise. This is commonly seen in septicaemia where bacteria has entered the bloodstream and resulted in toxins affecting the blood vessels.

You may like to fridge your axie until the summer months are over. Monitor closely throughout. If it deteriorates, please consult a vet.

The axie's diet although varied is still not 'complete'. You may like to include live earthworms, blackworms or axie pellets as a staple. While fridged, blackworms are the best food type to offer your axie.

katiegirl

Reaction score
Hi Darkmaverick,

Thank you for your advice. I notice you are in the Sydney area. Can you please possibley advise off any vets in this area that can treat axolotls?

and Narna, thank you for your reassurance. I hope your axie gets better!

katiegirl

Reaction score
Also, I just went to see my fridged axie. During the night all Spot seemed to have passed appears to be like white fluff :S Is this normal?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
White fluff could be shedded skin or partially digested food material.

Here is a list of vets who are familiar with axolotl medicine. I am off clinical work for the rest of this year but if in emergency, i can take a look for you.

Herp Vets in Australia

katiegirl

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for sending the list through. I just wanted to let you know that the first number I called asked me not to leave him in the fridge as it may kill him :S then I called the zoo who gave me a number of David Vella (also on list) who wont give advice over the phone, but said that it may help to fridge my lil axie and get him to someone as soon as possible. I have an appointment with the vet who said to take him out of the fridge in Camden tomorrow, but I am in two minds as to whether I should leave him in the fridge or not as it is a very warm day here in Syd!
to take out or not to take out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!