Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nitrate levels?

AllyTK

Reaction score
Hi hve been cycling my tank ready for an axolotl to move in and was just wondering if any one can tell me acceptable nitrate levels? I have about 10 ppm is this high ?

Abrahm

Reaction score
Nitrate is the end product of the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium. Excess nitrate is removed by water changes or live plants (which utilize the nitrate.) Nitrate is the least toxic of the three nitrogen compounds (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) and is generally safe to 20-40ppm.

AllyTK

Reaction score
thanks for that wasnt really sure what levels were safe. Another question i had was my filter (fluvalu2) has quite a strong current any one have ideas for aiming it or slowing it

kinkyoto

Reaction score
You could aim the output at the surface horizontally or
you could put an aquarium safe sponge at the output tip to slow down
the current. What i did with mines was I added a hiding place for my Axolotl
to hide in and it's safe from the current.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for that wasnt really sure what levels were safe. Another question i had was my filter (fluvalu2) has quite a strong current any one have ideas for aiming it or slowing it

Hi Ally,

A few options:

- Afix a spraybar to the outtake to dissipate the flow (this is the best method in opinion).

- Direct the filter outtake pipe to the tank wall so that the water flow is bounced off the tank wall rather than sending a water jet through the tank proper (this is the method I use, and it works quite well).

- Place an obstruction (large rock, sturdy plant, etc) to break the current.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1