Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

We from long island come in peace

wpken

Reaction score
:D Hello as you can probably tell, im new to newts! I belive I am probably a bit young to want to head into the devotion of newt breeding, but as I thought about it today, geeze if i can keep my first couple of newts to full age ill be 45 :eek:!! ive got a 55 gal long waiting to be cleaned out and set up so i can bring some C. pyrrhogasters in and start off on something i believe will be a step in the right direction with my life, and all of you will help me along the way:p

petlover516

Reaction score
Welcome, fellow Long-Islander! In a 55, you can have about 12 C.phyrrogasters. That will be a well-enough number to start an entire breeding colony!

wpken

Reaction score
12TWELVE!? ohhhsnap! i was thinking about six, but then i can fill up with offspring! lol you just made me pretty happy saying 12, its also a long tank so that may be like two more but still twelve!? thanks for the welcome too

petlover516

Reaction score
Well you can have about 3 per 10gallons, so 12 would be Ok. the longer the tank the better, since height doesn't matter for most newts and salamanders.

wpken

Reaction score
its a 55 long, because it was originally intended for fish i knew height wasnt important for housing fish, so i got a long tank, well in short the piece that held the front and back walls broke, so now im using it as a paludarium, for the newts im getting this weekend, and im making sure i dont fill it up enough to distend the tank. Also, the tank was distended when the bar broke, i managed to get out and buy a replacement tank fast enough to not have any losses, obviously because if i had any losses because of it, the tank would have probably been useless

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1