Algerian fire salamander, Salamandra algira algira

greabo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm luckily enough that my female has produced four larvae at the moment.Don't know if these were born live or hatched from eggs.Eggs have been produced,but I've never been able to hatch them.I wonder if these are trophic eggs.All larvae have "appeared" in water dish.Has any one bred this species before?

Basically I would like to know if anyone has experience breeding this particular species.

I have had no experience with algira I know Ben W has a pair he will be the best person to talk to hope that helps. did you get my pm

Matt

I think he's asking if the eggs were the result of a problem. Salamandra normally deposit larvae, not eggs. So deposition of dud eggs would presumably signify a problem with that particular batch.

Congratulations on the larvae.

The eggs are duds as Mark said...they will not hatch. They either were not fertilized or were aborted in the earlier stages of development for some reason.
4 larvae sounds like very little, watch out for more in the following days, as it´s possible that she will lay more.
This species is rarely bred, so it would be very interesting if you could share your experience and extend a bit on how you house them, what method did you use to condition them , ect.

By the way, it´s been described that developing larvae do indeed eat dud eggs. More surprisingly they also cannibalize younger larvae, so they eat both fertilized and unfertilized eggs. Since this is a species that can also produce fully formed, terrestrial juveniles, i wonder if the low number of offspring is related to this.

Good news!!!!
Algira algira produce aquatic larvae and algira tingitana generally produce fully formed terrestrial larvae.
Its not uncommon for a female in her first year or two of breeding to expell unfertilized eggs, along with a few larvae.
It can also be down to stress such as newly purchased animals or envoironmental factors or a young male too.

Hope they do well and remember to give the larvae some limestone flour every so often after they have morphed as they can be prone to skeletal deformities if allowed to grow too quickly without the extra calcium intake.

Ben

Just the other day I had a female gallaica deposit dud eggs, eggs with partially formed larva, dead pre-mature larva, and fully formed healthy live larva. This was a CB female which has spawned before and has been in my collection for 5 years so this was not a stress-induced spawn which is often the case in premature larva deposition.

Travis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back