Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whats going on with my FBs?

179shaz179

Reaction score
Wondering if you can all hel me. Im getting worried about one of my newts. Some of u may remember me from other posts. I rescued this one newt from someone who wasnt looking after him. He was very thin. I say he im unsure as to there sex :confused:. Well ive noticed over the last few week him getting fat again and it looks like his bits are getting bigger. That could just be cause hes put on weight. Heres sum pics of my two newts. can you let me know if you think there is a problem with either of them and what sex they are. Im wondering if there maybe babies coming.

Newt 1 Jub Jub

JubJub21Nov20091.jpg

JubJub21Nov20094.jpg

Jubjubsbits21Nov2009029.jpg

My other newt Nugget

Nugget21Nov200914.jpg

Nugget21Nov200921.jpg

Nuggetsbits21Nov2009034.jpg

Both of them together. Jub Jub on the left and Nugget on the right.

21Nov2009003.jpg

179shaz179

Reaction score
These pics for some reason have come out looking a bit squashed for some reason. I know Jub Jub is fat bit he aint that fat. The last pic looks like the right size of them.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´d say they are both female, and the first one looks like she could very well be gravid. Sometimes it´s not easy to distinguish fat from gravid, but i´d bet that she is full of eggs. Only time will tell, though.

179shaz179

Reaction score
If there both females is that possible? No other in the tank. I dont know how this works with them? What do i do if it is eggs?:confused:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you got her relatively recently, she could just have stored the sperm from a former mating.
Or she might just be fat....
The pear shape of her body is usually considered a clear sign of gravidness, but i´ve seen the same shape in my female both in and out of breeding season.

If you find eggs, two things may happen, one, they are all duds because there was no fertilization(rare...), two, you find yourself being the proud owner of your very own larvae hehe.
You can find a lot of information on how to raise this species both in this forum and in the Caudata Culture articles(links are in my signature).

179shaz179

Reaction score
The one that is fat is the one that ive had for the longest. We got her on 20 Sept 2009 and i know that shes been on her own for a year or so. If she is they must be all duds, unless the other one is a male.
Guess only time will tell lol;)

179shaz179

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ive still got one fat newt and one thin one. The thin one keeps getting on the fat ones back but i havent seen any other signs of breeding like tail fanning. I still really confused as to what is goin on with them. :confused:
Some people say that its two girls then someone said boy an girl so to be honest im really not sure what sex they are. All i know is the fat one is still fat and i havent had any eggs from them. Unsure wot i should be doin. dont know if i need to take one out incase its bloat :confused:
Here some more pics. I would be gratefull for ur thoughts.

FatJubJubnNugget15Dec20093.jpg

FatJubJub15Dec2009.jpg

NuggettopJubbottom22Nov2009cd1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Well, first off, I dont think the fat one has bloat. Does your fat newt float or have troubles moving about? I have had a newt with bloat before and it looked more sickly and fat all around like a balloon, yours seems more pear shaped. I think it is gravid. As for the one getting on the other's back, it sounds like breeding behaviour to me. Only time will tell if it is a male and female. Just be patient and wait to see what happens.

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Hello 179shaz179,
I am glad that you touched on this subject, because one of my C.cyanurus is with the same aspect of your fat, pregnant not sure it is really a male!
I think they do not have the symptom of the disease called bloat, and that this is not just from malnutrition and those with excess fat! At least I hope! By the way that the food you give them?

179shaz179

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Guess i will will have to wait and see.
I feed them bloodworms and earthworms. Feed them every three days. Was feeding the one every other day because it was so skinny when i first got it. But now its fatter ive cut it back a bit.

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
They could have a better diet, 179shaz179! My C.cyanurus when they arrived there from England came too thin, which is why I started also to the food every day! As the people here: There is hunger that does not give in abundance! I give them exactly the same, adding larvae of Calliphora vomitoria, which are very rich in fat! Now cut these and I am just giving the same as you, but only 5 in 5 days, because their metabolism is slower and does not need so much energy! Let's see if it follows a little and lose weight! ;)

Cheers

179shaz179

Reaction score
Maybe i should leave it a bit longer between feeding then. I must admit that there not eating as much. most of it ends up gettin taken out.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I dont think the diet is bad at all. Earthworms are the best or one of the best foods you could ever offer a caudate. They are high in calcium, protien, needed nutrients without fat. Bloodworms are ok, low in calcium but the earthworms make up for that. You could add blackworms, whiteworms, brineshrimp(live and rinsed), etc. to the diet but I think it is ok. Variety is always best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!