Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts/salamanders in NY?

wpken

Reaction score
I'm curious is all, when i was younger i lived in a house in which my backyard had a big lof underneath, my mom turned it over after me nagging her for forever. she screams "snaaaaake!" and i say "..uuhhh uhhh nuh uh! its a salamander?!" because i wasnt sure. It was pretty much a bright red on the top i belive with a bright blue on the underside, with big black speckling along its back, im not too sure on the colourations but it should be right. if someone could pass along a list to me so i can figure out what kind it was, or if you know what species of sal/newt it was you could just tell me that also:wacko:

wpken

Reaction score
eh thanks for a suggestion, but that looks more like an orange, the colors are actually more like the colors of the american flag, minus the white, and i mean literally that bright. if there are species that live specifically on long island, include themselves on long island i hope that would help, my research has so far shown fruitless

wpken

Reaction score
gentlemen, i may hve made a species discovery! haha ive been through every single species that has a picture on the Caudata Culture species list, it may exist without a photo, which would probably be easy to get seeing as my uncle gets them under his shed every year around this time, lets hope he still has his shed back there. also i meant to say the sal/newt had bright blue limbs, with a black underbelly possibly, with the black stretching onto his back via spots but other wise he has a BRIGHT RED back and i mean bright red, not light such as an orange, but bright red http://www.giftforfathersday.co.uk/gifts/images/bright%20red%20pearl%20web.jpg with a jet black belly, i must say i hope i gave an accurate description, its been like 6-8 years ago.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Given the description and your location there are only 3 good possibilities with a fourth being a very long shot. The 3 main candidates are Gyrinophilus porphyriticus porphyriticus, Pseudotriton ruber ruber, and Plethodon cinereus (most likely). Now I have seen Hemidatcylum scutatum with a reddish back and a slight blue tint to their legs but they have white bellys.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
xDDD I think Kaysie may be right, if not in the specific skink(i have no idea), at least in the fact that the animal was not a caudate.

wpken

Reaction score
im sorry but this is funny, i've actually created a little bit of a surge, although azhael may be right, im almost positive that it was a caudate, but it could be something else on the island and slimy, with four legs..and a broad jaw. Ruber would be the most likely candidate, if it had a blue underside or any blue, either way its been bugging me so much, and i hope its not bugging many of you too much either but hey we will get it done, when my mom gets home ill ask her if she can call her brother and ask him if hes been seeing those lil' guys in his backyard recently.

wpken

Reaction score
if theres a skink with a broad mouth, then it may be a skink but the unkown creature has a broad jaw so i doubt its a skink, dont worry im looking into things too, but you know i dont know how to look as well as ya'll

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m afraid the best way and perhaps the only way for us to help is if you manage to get a photo. I´m positive if you do, we´ll be able to identify it.

wpken

Reaction score
yes az, it will definitely end the conflict, but thats the problem, i moved out of that house, so i have to wait to get in touch with my uncle and then im not sure if hes got his shed set up the same way, for all our sakes lets hope hes got them still, or lets hope he knows what they are. I also am very poor at finding things like this

wpken

Reaction score
so i contacted my uncle, and he is going to check around his yard tomorrow(tuesday) to see if there are any, and hes going to try and get it in a tup-aware to take some pics of it, whether he is bringing it to me or not i am not sure. Either way he is going to be trying to email me pics of it

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure to have a positive ID on the animal before your uncle thinks about sending it to you or keeping it, because it may be a protected species. I don´t necessarily object against putting the animal in an enclosure for some quick photos (although it can be illegal depending on the location and status of conservation of a species).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1