Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ready to bite the bullet (getting mate for warty newt)

lexmiller

Reaction score
I think I am ready to get a mate for me C. pyrrhogaster. I believe mine to be female, and I have spotted a male at the local shop. All of you C. pyrrhogaster enthusiaists chime in and lay it all out they way YOU do it. Include set up, knowing when they're ready, how long it takes to hatch, moving the hatchlings to a seperate tank, wha they eat....all of it.

I could read and search for answers, but if a few experts could aly it all out in succession I believe I would have the outline I need to get started. And once I get paid I will start the journey.

Thank you.

Oh and if you check my blog next weekend there should be results of my field herping trip with my kids to the redwoods on my blog. Pictures and an account of all the fun we had. My kids are very excited.

lexmiller

Reaction score
Re: Ready to bite the bullet (getting mate for C. pyrrhogaster)

Thank you to the mods who added (getting mate for C. pyrrhogaster) to the title. Might never had anyone look at the thread unless that was on there...sorry...again...I am still a little new to this forum stuff.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Are you sure it's C. pyrrhogaster you have? These are rarely found in shops these days, although it is possible. It's probably too soon to worry about breeding, you first need to think about quarantine and acclimatization of the new animal. When newts are well-fed and exposed to normal seasonal temperatures, they usually take care of breeding without any particular effort.

lexmiller

Reaction score

Yes it is pyrrhogaster. This shop is good.

I've had her for a few months now.

I only have one...contemptlation is over getting a male to mate her.

She is super healthy and well taken care of.

lexmiller

Reaction score

OKAY...so you say the pyrrhogaster is hard to come by, so help me make sure that this is what I think it is.

Also I am thinking that I may have misread this as a female.

Help me out.

Attachments

• DSC04024.jpg
    DSC04024.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC04032.jpg
    DSC04032.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC04033.jpg
    DSC04033.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 291

Yahilles

Reaction score

YYyyy Don't you think that it's a Paramesotriton chinensis, not C. pyrrhogaster?

futura2000

Reaction score

That does strike me as a Paramesotriton.

lexmiller

Reaction score

After reviewing pics on Caudata Culture I agree...P. chinesis is a better identification. So are the other ones I have scouted out at the shop. They have been there since I bought this one. One is quite larger than mine so I assume it is a female without picking it up. Would you say mine is a male?(I think?)

This is exciting!!!

Attachments

• DSC04036.jpg
    DSC04036.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC04033.jpg
    DSC04033.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 171

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score

By looking at it yours might be a bit to young to breed just yet.
I'm not sure if it just looks small, and Ive never kept these species but yours still looks like a youngster to me, I could be wrong but thats my opinion

-Frank

Yahilles

Reaction score

I guess one on the pictures is just weak after import and being kept in pet shop it won't get fat - just feed it properly and, if you bought it, you'll see that animal will grow bigger quickly.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Definitely a P.chinensis, no doubt.
Watch out for agression, keeping groups of this species can result in quite a lot of problems.

lexmiller

Reaction score

I have fattened "Sally"(as my daughter calls it) up quite a bit since it's days in the pet shop. I feed earthworms and black worms. It also eats the tiny snails that inhabit the tank.

SO IS IT A MALE OR FEMALE? TOO YOUNG TO TELL?

Hahaha...not yelling, just curious. Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1