Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Earliest age for breeding

Hooky87

Reaction score
I would like to know what peoples experiences are of the youngest age of breeding in fire salamanders, i know it is normally 3 to 4 years but i have some young sals that are between 3 1/2 to 4 inch long that are showing signs of being male which made me think has breeding before 3 years ever happend.
Cheers

Matt

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Bare in mind that males almost always reach maturity earlier than females. Just because the males are nearing adulthood, it doesn´t mean the females are going to be ready soon.
In addition, allowing a young female to breed may be detrimental to her health and development.

benw

Reaction score
In addition, allowing a young female to breed may be detrimental to her health and development.

I totally agree, it can put the female through a lot of stress, but having said that it happens in the wild, but we have no control over that.......

I have had a female breed probably too young, and the larvae were very small, although they did survive, but there were a lot of unfertilised eggs, and the female did need a bit of tlc after.

i think a good benchmark age would be about 5 years old for most salamandra, and maybe 7 or so for the alpine speces

tdimler

Reaction score
I have quite a few CB 2005 animals which I think will need another year to mature. I have heard of animals breeding at 3 years but I find this hard to imagine. I can second the fact the spawns of young females usually have a low survivability. Sometimes I wish they would grow up faster!

Travis

inshi

Reaction score
Hello,

I´ve lost a bernardezi after breeding at the age of 2 1/2 (!) - I never expected, they bred this early, especially if you keep in mind they are giving birth to fully developed salamanders. I think it was too early for the female to cope with...

Ingo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1