Question: What salamander should I get?

jackj921

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JACK
I am an experienced tropical fish hobbyist and have good experience also in maintaining and breeding dart frogs. I am thinking about venturing into salamanders/newts but I want something whose care/housing is relatively consistent with keeping the former. The parameters for my first salamander/newt would be 1)primarily aquatic 2)colorful 3)several could be kept in a 20 gallon high aquarium 4)temperature in the room almost always mid to low 70sF 5)can be fed almost exclusively on frozen bloodworms, tubifex, and wingless fruit flies.(not worms, crikets etc)
My initial research on this site, the internet and the Devin Edmonds Complete Guide has really not yielded a clear choice of salamander to fit my needs. There is also a bit of inconsistency within those sources as to requirements, specifically the ability to withstand temps in the mid 70s which is a must for me. I would appreciate any and all suggestions as to a species that would best meet my requirements.

looks you should choose a Cynops specie!

1) they almost never leave water
2) especially Cynops ensicauda popei can be very colorfull
3) they are not agressive to each other
4) room temperature will do fine for most species, altough C. ensicauda don't like temperatures below 12 degrees Celcius
5) they can use to frozen food very well, but in my opinion, live food is more natural

Attachments

• popei 23.JPG
    popei 23.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 179
  • popei 27.JPG
    popei 27.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 144
Thank You very much for your reply. Cynops popei certainly looks like a great choice. Any others?

I also recommend popei. They're one of the most temperature tolerant.

With the needs your listing then I think Cynops cyanurus would be the ticket for you. CB stock are readily available here in the US to boot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back